Northumbria police boss says Ched Evans case shows courts have 'gone back 30 years'
A former solicitor general has expressed concern about some of the evidence heard in the Ched Evans rape trial.
The Wales international footballer was acquitted of rape on Friday following a five-year battle to clear his name.
In a rare move, the jury at Cardiff Crown Court heard evidence from two men who had sex with the complainant around the time of the rape allegation.
According to BBC News, Vera Baird, police and crime commissioner for Northumbria and former solicitor general, told Radio 4's Today programme: "The only difference between a clear conviction of Mr Evans in 2012 and... read more
- 09:51 This hair dye will adapt its colour according to your surroundings
- 09:51 Air ambulance at scene of crash involving lorry and motorbike
- 09:50 'Stubborn' swan blocks M27 at Fareham
- 09:50 This Nottinghamshire design firm is looking to boost the web...
- 09:49 Burglars steal car keys from Sandiacre home - then take Citroen...
- 09:49 UK food and drink sales hit £20bn across the world
- 09:49 Roman Abramovich secures crucial deal: Chelsea fans will love this
- 09:48 Czechs, tired of being 'Europe's garbage can', will push for better...
- 09:48 China jails former head of safety watchdog for 15 years for graft
- 09:47 Serious cause behind the smile
- 09:47 Explorer Levison Wood to entertain Chesterfield with stories of his...
- 09:46 Sutton United boss hits out at 20-stone goalie Wayne Shaw for...
- 09:45 You can skip this ad in a year: YouTube drops 30-second commercials
- 09:45 YP Comment: The best and worst of politics
- 09:45 Pundit addresses rumours of Man United’s £30m Arsenal raid: This...
- 09:45 Multi vehicle accident on M62 near Leeds
- 09:45 Milo Yiannopoulos banned from conference over paedophilia comments
- 09:45 Children's sex book causes stir in Indonesia
- 09:45 COURT REGISTER
- 09:45 THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: Catching God’s attention as spring arrives...
- 09:44 South Africa grants Barclays Africa some immunity in FX rigging probe
- 09:44 Hammond closes in on budget goal after strong January tax inflows
- 09:44 Mourinho mind games begin as Man Utd draw Chelsea in FA Cup
- 09:44 Marlpool model set for a comeback
- 09:44 Asia stocks consolidate recent gains; China shines
- 09:43 Tory leader challenges council's call to splash cash on traffic...
- 09:43 Scarlett Moffatt 'gutted' as her family is axed from next Gogglebox...
- 09:42 Queen of the jungle Scarlett Moffatt 'gutted' at family's...
- 09:42 Police dig at former Swindon home of double killer...
- 09:42 Ukip leader Paul Nuttall gives witness statement to Hillsborough probe