Northern Canada’s Deline, population 500, gets self-governance
A small aboriginal community in Canada's Northwest Territories is crafting laws that would normally be imposed by higher authorities as it forges ahead on a path of self-governance some 20 years in the making.
Deline's population of 500 had been working towards self-rule since 1995, negotiating with federal and territorial authorities and holding its own ratification vote before officially achieving independence on Sept. 1.
According to Deline's Final Self-Government Agreement, the community can regulate liquor and gaming, language usage, education, health services, welfare and land... read more
- 11:41 Inflammatory bowel disease - seven things YOU didn't known about...
- 11:41 Cyber attack ‘highly likely’ in UK election
- 11:41 There is still time to register to vote by post for the General...
- 11:41 Sunny start for Lincolnshire Wolds Walking Festival
- 11:41 Woman escapes uninjured from dramatic crash thanks to seat belt
- 11:41 Nuneaton school forced to close after fire on site
- 11:40 Man City USA tour fixtures and dates
- 11:40 Chelsea legend Pat Nevin urges Antonio Conte to complete Kieran...
- 11:40 Will tonight's Take That show at Echo Arena Liverpool go ahead?
- 11:40 Letters - May 18, 2017
- 11:39 Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon deserves to win the Ballon...
- 11:39 Ajax were Europe's dominant force in the mid-1990s... but then the...
- 11:39 Northumbria Police set to review policing of upcoming North East...
- 11:39 Tottenham step up demolition job on historic White Hart Lane as...
- 11:39 Manchester United defender Timothy Fosu-Mensah relishing 'extra...
- 11:39 Antonio Conte: Chelsea boss poses with Sir Alex Ferguson after...
- 11:39 Manchester United stars hold minute's silence for victims of terror...
- 11:39 Castle’s a pretty picture - but at what cost to wildlife?
- 11:39 Cyber attack ‘highly likely’ in UK election
- 11:39 Sunny start for Lincolnshire Wolds Walking Festival
- 11:39 New Rugby mayor Garcia sworn in at town hall
- 11:38 Manchester terror attack: Ashton Hayes family who were at concert...
- 11:38 Lancaster student, 17, relives Manchester Arena explosion
- 11:37 Half a glass of wine a day can ‘increase breast cancer risk’
- 11:37 CCTV images released after 'terrifying' arson attack in Keighley
- 11:37 Plea for volunteers to survey Yorkshire Dales’ bumblebees
- 11:37 SNP will go for minority administration in Edinburgh
- 11:37 PM: Attacker chose time and place with “cold calculation”
- 11:37 Cyber attack ‘highly likely’ in UK election
- 11:36 Manchester United have 60% chance of signing Antoine Griezmann