North Sea oil spill heading away from land, BP says
An oil spill from a North Sea platform is heading away from land, according to BP.
Its Clair platform was shut down on Sunday following the leak.
BP has not yet revealed how much fuel has escaped from the structure, which is 75km (46 miles) west of Shetland.
It has, however, confirmed oil is visible on the surface of the water and appears to be moving north.
The firm currently believes that allowing the oil to disperse naturally at sea is the best way to deal with the spill, although other options have not been ruled out.
In a statement, BP said: "The release was stopped within an hour... read more
- 16:25 Arsenal news: Does Mesut Ozil ‘go missing’ too often in big games?
- 16:25 West Brom news: Darren Moore shows ruthless streak by axing three...
- 16:24 Brighouse accident shuts road
- 16:24 Should you give money to street beggars? What police and charities say
- 16:24 Owners of The Grapes give update on future of iconic pub after closure
- 16:22 Scottish fathers in low-income jobs less likely to take paternity...
- 16:21 When Harry met Antony
- 16:21 Raising a glass to Baroness Bacon: Ale goes on tap in Parliament to...
- 16:21 Berkeley hits peak profits as it warns of London housing slump
- 16:19 Development company selling home it bought from CEO
- 16:19 Tall Ships Races 2018: The 55 ships taking part in this year’s...
- 16:18 Raising a glass to Baroness Bacon: Ale goes on tap in Parliament to...
- 16:18 Are you guilty of Gatsbying?
- 16:17 Axel Tuanzebe and Aston Villa: What next for the Manchester United...
- 16:17 'Announce Yacob new contract' - West Brom fans react to departing trio
- 16:17 Syria war: War crimes committed in Eastern Ghouta battle - UN
- 16:17 Celebs Go Dating wants Brummie singles to feature in new series
- 16:17 Residents won't use "hopeless" bus services in Solihull, warning
- 16:17 Tenancy fraud cases cost Solihull Council more than £1.5m
- 16:17 Pub's strict new rules for England game after rowdy fans cause mayhem
- 16:16 Sheffield tech hub full after 400 move in
- 16:15 WWE legend Vader dies aged 63
- 16:15 Art prize for Eyemouth High pupil
- 16:14 Council at cutting edge as verge works start
- 16:14 Labour looks for community organiser in Northumberland
- 16:14 Development company selling home it bought from CEO
- 16:14 Time passes more slowly for flies, study finds
- 16:13 Empty 'ghost' school costing Liverpool taxpayers £12,000 a DAY -...
- 16:13 Police who saved drug dealer from sinking car to receive bravery award
- 16:13 Police confirm death of Burnley road traffic accident victim