North of England hardest hit by government cuts
The north of England has seen the biggest cuts in government spending over the past five years, official figures show.
Spending in the north has fallen by £696m in real terms since 2012, while the south of England has seen an increase of £7bn.
Labour have called on the government to end its austerity programme in the budget on Wednesday.
A Treasury spokesperson said every region in England is funded fairly.
Analysing the latest government figures on public spending, BBC News has found that every region in the north of England has seen a real terms fall in government spending since 2012,... read more
- 09:19 Man jailed for 22 years for child rape in Nottinghamshire in 1970s
- 09:19 Man taken to hospital as car and van crash in freezing weather
- 09:18 Prime Minister’s response to question on Hartlepool’s hospital was...
- 09:18 Hartlepool backs festive Walking Home for Christmas campaign
- 09:18 Danger driver led police on 80mph chase
- 09:18 League tables put Hartlepool school in top ten
- 09:18 Police look to CCTV to identify Wesley arsonists
- 09:18 Boy, 14, accidentally drains mum’s entire bank account playing FIFA
- 09:17 Boxer Amir Khan to celebrate birthday in Digbeth – with pregnant wife
- 09:16 Appeal after theft of number plate
- 09:14 Arbroath receive big fitness boost ahead of game at Alloa
- 09:15 Jeff Brazier’s fiancé Kate Dwyer posts first family snap as she...
- 09:14 Dundee United’s Tam Scobbie comes up against in-form strike...
- 09:14 St Johnstone head to Ibrox without Murray Davidson
- 09:14 East Fife work on plans to thwart table-topping Ayr United
- 09:15 Premier League predictions: Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd win,...
- 09:14 Raith Rovers look to extend 100% home record
- 09:15 Newcastle United exclusive: Rafa Benitez has overachieved with...
- 09:14 Montrose looking for Elgin City revenge
- 09:14 Dundee’s Paul McGowan hoping to make amends for Hearts ‘blip’...
- 09:14 The Yorkshire Post says: Exposé into West Yorkshire Combined...
- 09:14 Dundee boss looking for players to right a lot of wrongs
- 09:14 Experienced duo available for Forfar
- 09:14 Dunfermline looking to turn the clock back against St Mirren
- 09:14 Relegation six-pointer for Brechin and Falkirk
- 09:11 Hate Christmas? You can now smash up festive decorations for fun
- 09:11 Thomas Lemar sends Gooners into meltdown by ‘liking’ post claiming...
- 09:10 Latest news from Berwick Stoma Support Group
- 09:09 The ‘potentially hazardous’ asteroid Phaeton 3200 will zoom past...
- 09:09 Twice-banned Nelson drink-driver caught behind the wheel whilst...