North Dakota pipeline: Police fire water cannon at protesters
Police in North Dakota have used water cannon against demonstrators protesting against an oil pipeline.
Morton County Sheriff's Department said protesters, who had gathered on a closed bridge near the Standing Rock reservation, had started fires.
Sioux tribes and allies have been protesting for weeks amid fears the pipeline will pollute water supplies.
Demonstrators said rubber bullets were also fired, but police did not confirm those reports.
One person was arrested.
This latest clash involved an estimated 400 demonstrators at Backwater Bridge, which has been closed by local authorities... read more
- 12:29 Try this simple technique to help you fall asleep in 60 seconds
- 12:29 Aldi to stock special drinks range for Hallowe’en
- 12:29 M&S is looking for more than 100 Christmas staff in Newcastle
- 12:29 More than 5,600 IS foreign fighters have returned home - report
- 12:28 Man City youngster Oleksandr Zinchenko opens up about his future
- 12:28 Aldi to stock special drinks range for Hallowe’en
- 12:27 Unity Works ‘not in a position’ to pay refunds
- 12:26 VIDEO: Relaunched charity shop brings quality goods to South Yorkshire
- 12:25 Dr Martens boosted by rising full-year sales and profits after Asia...
- 12:25 Awkward moment Ben Shephard grills Davood Ghadami over Strictly...
- 12:25 Louise Redknapp ‘house-hunting’ in London with new BFF Daisy Lowe
- 12:24 How record signing Matej Vydra has emerged from the shadows at...
- 12:24 Toback: 200 more women contact LA Times about harassment
- 12:24 MP says local taxpayers should not pay to police national fracking...
- 12:24 Kelly Clarkson: 'When I was really skinny I wanted to kill myself'
- 12:24 Halloween in The Octagon shopping centre in Burton this half term
- 12:23 Burton Albion players to raise money for Children in Need with...
- 12:23 Why armed police officers are also 999 life-savers
- 12:23 Lincolnshire has second biggest pothole problem in East Midlands
- 12:21 Fantastic! Poppy Prom tops £40,000 to support our war veterans
- 12:20 £300k investment in Chester car dealership site
- 12:20 Train fire caused disruption between Chester and Crewe
- 12:20 Budding Barra footballer makes 320-mile round-trip to mainland for...
- 12:20 Hundreds of jobs up for grabs in and around Derbyshire
- 12:20 Man City vs Wolves: Guardiola's dilemma; Nuno's positive approach;...
- 12:19 Michael Winner: Coronation Street actress claims director told her...
- 12:19 Leicester drop plans to appeal Adrien Silva's registration to CAS...
- 12:19 Company donates defibrillator to community
- 12:19 Daydreaming brain network used in autopilot
- 12:18 Last ever Inspector George Gently episode gets its TV date - find...