No win, no fee adverts 'common on NHS advice cards'
Hundreds of NHS hospitals are hosting adverts for personal injury lawyers, marketing agencies have told the BBC.
The companies, which place the adverts on patient advice leaflets, say NHS trusts are paid up to £200,000 a year, with some using the money to cover staff overtime and buy heart monitors.
Some hospitals are also given gifts of items like uniforms and tea trolleys.
The Department of Health says its discourages the adverts, but it is ultimately for trusts to decide.
NHS England has declined to comment.
Legal claims against NHS clinical services rose last year by 27% to £1.48bn.... read more
- 14:27 Mum died from infected scratch after Bulgarian medics failed to...
- 14:27 Emmanuel Macron and Vladimir Putin shake hands ready for frosty...
- 14:27 Who will stay at Liverpool FC this summer?
- 14:27 50 Judo students make the grade
- 14:25 Readers most want better roads for Coventry, according to our survey
- 14:25 Muslim man offers free hugs in response to Manchester terror attack
- 14:24 Stroke of fortune for the Lions’ swimmers
- 14:24 Yemen cholera death toll rises, but number of infections drop - WHO
- 14:23 Kagiso Rabada tears England apart despite Jonny Bairstow resistance
- 14:23 Court round-up: Grantham area defendants in court
- 14:22 Cops arrest 13-year-old over gang attack that left man with serious...
- 14:22 Cambridge American Cemetery photo appeal for US war dead
- 14:21 COLUMN: Good news for Doncaster patients as GPs are either good or...
- 14:21 Amazon launches 40 new channels
- 14:21 Sheffield taxi drivers and mosques denounce Manchester terror...
- 14:20 What a difference an 85-week clean-up operation makes! 5,000 TONNES...
- 14:20 How to maintain your lawn this summer
- 14:18 Spain arrests 14 on suspicion of making, selling...
- 14:18 Kenwick Park GC seniors earn Waltham stalemate
- 14:17 Tributes continue for North East victims of terror attack as MI5...
- 14:17 Confused ASOS customers are receiving half-opened packets of Polos...
- 14:16 Hamerton Zoo Park evacuated over ongoing incident
- 14:15 EU ministers agree car approval rules after dieselgate
- 14:15 Ireland must make call on AIB IPO in next 10 days -minister
- 14:15 Cheshire Oaks host of fun events for half-term
- 14:15 Manchester attack victim Nell Jones's family say their 'hearts have...
- 14:15 Your pig-ugly pugs and grotesque guinea pigs could be TV stars
- 14:15 No escalation of security at East Midlands Airport following...
- 14:15 Look what happened at the secret beach near Birmingham when the sun...
- 14:14 How to maintain your lawn this summer