No relief for North East parents facing fines over term time holidays - despite changes elsewhere
Parents that take their children on holiday during term time in the North East will still face fines.
The North East fined parents £79,920 for unauthorised school absences last year.
All councils in our region pledged to maintain fines as a way to deter parents taking advantage of cheaper holidays.
A spokesman for Gateshead Council said: “The law in relation to fining parents who take their children out of school during term time has not changed.
“The Government has said it will look again at the legislation, but as yet, it remains in place.
“Therefore we will continue to issue penalty... read more
- 06:59 Who's in charge of Hands Off HRI - and is the money safe? Here's...
- 06:58 BREAKING: Helen Bailey murder - Ian Stewart guilty of killing...
- 06:58 Man wanted over Blackpool attacks
- 06:58 Fylde Tories doubt over county plans
- 06:58 Fast and furious waterpark slides get the thumbs up
- 06:58 Homes plan wins council approval
- 06:58 Donald Trump revokes Obama policy that affected transgender students
- 06:58 Mum’s Corrie delight after acting break
- 06:58 Police welfare a priority insist force bosses
- 06:58 Museum Trust enjoys success with open day
- 06:58 LIVE: Storm Doris in Lancashire
- 06:57 Man 'gutted' in knife attack after refusing to give cash to beggars
- 06:57 One horse hit by vehicle after ponies run loose on A19
- 06:57 Hartlepool homeowner threatened with court for paving over his...
- 06:57 Extra support for Hartlepool and North Tees midwives
- 06:56 Italy says no problem with construction of TAP pipeline
- 06:56 Tech breakthroughs take a backseat in upcoming Apple iPhone launch
- 06:54 Isle fat loss expert ties the knot
- 06:54 European boss makes big revelation about managing Liverpool
- 06:54 LIVE: Storm Doris in Lancashire
- 06:53 Heartbreak for family of boy with cancer as they reveal new tumours...
- 06:53 Storm Doris arrives with 90mph winds battering Britain and delays...
- 06:53 Driver with 62 points is still allowed to keep his licence
- 06:53 Homeless beggars gutted man when he refused to give them money
- 06:52 Roy Keane backs Man United to complete huge summer transfer
- 06:50 Rangers tax case to be heard by UK Supreme Court next month as...
- 06:50 Rampage Scot was so blootered after Blackpool binge he told cops he...
- 06:50 Brazen brothers who posted grinning selfies outside court face jail...
- 06:50 Plucky pensioners show they're Still Game as they fight off...
- 06:50 New species of fang-free midge discovered on shores of Loch Ness