No end in sight for austerity - the North East set to weather hundreds of millions of more cuts
The age of austerity has often thrown out figures hard to comprehend - with cuts to local authority budgets totalling the hundreds of millions of pounds.
As Newcastle City Council approved a consultation for £70million of further cuts over the next three years, leader Nick Forbes said the Government had “washed its hands” of any responsibility.
The people of the North East have bore the brunt of more than a billion pounds in Government cuts since 2010.
The region has been one of the hardest hit since the Tories took over the Treasury in 2010.
Some £966m has been sucked out of the region -... read more
- 13:13 Corbyn won’t consider his position after historic defeat
- 13:12 27 things that seriously p*ss off anyone who works in a shop
- 13:12 West Brom selection dilemma: The team Tony Pulis could play against...
- 13:12 Couple fined after refusing to remove racist graffiti from their home
- 13:12 Leicester went from top-of-the-world to down-on-their-luck under...
- 13:12 Households paying the price for broken energy sector as electricity...
- 13:12 “Holy cr*p, people are stupid:” Walking Dead actor blasts minister...
- 13:12 Interactive map of the UK reveals the worst motorists by region...
- 13:12 Young dad-to-be who died suddenly will be buried with unborn baby...
- 13:10 Jewellery Quarter office block sold for £9.3m
- 13:10 John Lewis places 770 jobs under threat
- 13:09 Wigston Elvis impersonator stole mother in law's funeral...
- 13:09 Former Home Secretary Lord Waddington dies at age of 87
- 13:09 Where to taste craft beer in Leicester this weekend
- 13:09 Storm Doris: Dramatic dashcam footage captures moment large tree...
- 13:08 Watford v West Ham TV channel, kick-off time, odds and recent meetings
- 13:07 Eleven players sign new deals at Saints
- 13:07 Saints make just one change for Worcester Warriors clash
- 13:07 University is on top of the world
- 13:07 13 of the most dramatic photos from Storm Doris in Nottingham
- 13:07 Chaos as ambulances forced to divert away from Chorley A&E at night
- 13:07 Prosecco pancakes? Yes, they are a thing and here's how to make them
- 13:07 Appeal after theft of medication from car in Lancaster
- 13:07 Manchester United handed nightmare draw against Rostov in Europa...
- 13:07 Yoga in kilts is a cheeky success
- 13:06 Garden village plans spark interest from housing groups
- 13:06 Vietnamese goalkeeper who protested dodgy penalty by letting...
- 13:05 England v Italy in Six Nations 2017 - Kick-off time, teams and TV...
- 13:04 Landmark first for university department
- 13:04 Health kicks on offer at new Preston cafe