Nine out of 10 shoppers using own bags since 5p charge introduced - study
Around 90% of people take their own bags with them when food shopping, up from 70% before the charge on single-use plastic bags was introduced on October 5, research from Cardiff University shows.
Additionally, around one in 15 shoppers (7%) now regularly take single-use carrier bags at the checkout, compared with the one in four who took one before the charge.
Results showed an increase in support in England for the carrier bag charge since its introduction from 51% to 62%, as well as an increase in support for other potential waste reduction charges, such as on plastic water bottles.
The... read more
- 01:01 Eddie Howe delighted to see his strikers starting to score after...
- 01:00 International visits to US fall
- 00:57 Pokemon Go NEWS: Niantic update adds FREE item that TRANSFORMS your...
- 00:57 Young people 'face debt epidemic'
- 00:53 Quarter of 14-year-old girls 'have signs of depression'
- 00:53 Bristol City fans help Shrewsbury edge closer to funding...
- 00:53 Manchester City's squad laugh and joke in light-hearted training...
- 00:48 Trump's first UN speech met with criticism from some leaders
- 00:47 Neolithic Orkney rivalries detailed in new study
- 00:47 Experts gather for Europe's first dark sky conference
- 00:44 Life-extending lung cancer drug approved
- 00:43 Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha insists he will have no problem playing...
- 00:43 Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere is battle-hardened after 'tough...
- 00:35 Lawrie returns to the scene of his victory with his original weapons
- 00:30 Emmerdale spoilers: Gillian Kearney teases explosive details on...
- 00:23 Jurgen Klopp reacts to Liverpool's Carabao Cup exit at Leicester
- 00:22 10 university flashpoints over free speech
- 00:22 The Italians who prefer to drink American coffee
- 00:22 Smartphone sales boom with over-55s
- 00:22 Manchester police still relies on Windows XP
- 00:21 'Racist' Paddy Power advert for Mayweather v McGregor superfight...
- 00:20 Rail staff set for biggest strike since sell-off
- 00:20 Should I buy a diesel car? Debate on fuel CONFUSING motorists
- 00:19 Philippe Coutinho showed why Barcelona want him against Leicester -...
- 00:18 Barcelona players criticised for wearing shirts with Ousmane...
- 00:17 More entrepreneurs looking for an exit
- 00:17 Ministers face pay cap conundrum, says the IFS
- 00:17 Young spend three times more on housing than grandparents
- 00:17 Water companies pulled up over complaint calls
- 00:17 Google launches UK 'anti-terror fund'