Nikkei rises as oil surge boosts miners, weak yen lifts risk appetite
* U.S. jobs, presidential debate help Japan market - analysts
* Airline stocks underperform after oil prices rise
* Ono Pharma stumbles as research data favours rival
By Ayai Tomisawa
TOKYO, Oct 11 Japan's Nikkei share average gained on Tuesday, led by mining stocks after oil prices jumped the previous day and a weak yen lifted risk appetite.
The Nikkei rose 1.0 percent to 17,020.62 in midmorning trade, while the broader Topix rose 0.9 percent to hit a four-month high of 1,362.33.
Investors returned from a long weekend to find overseas developments had benefited Japanese stocks while... read more
- 02:38 Ted 2017: The robot that wants to go to university
- 02:36 Elderly care fund ‘is just a ruse’ say MPs
- 02:28 Companies cheer Trump tax cuts, but jobs are less certain to follow
- 02:19 Rachel Reeves: Bank fees pile on the pain to those least able to cope
- 02:14 Uber driver charged with raping California woman in car
- 02:08 French intelligence says Assad forces carried out sarin attack
- 02:08 China flags global naval role after new carrier launch
- 01:59 Test may spot glaucoma before symptoms begin, study says
- 01:58 Review secret Orgreave files to ensure 'no cover-ups',...
- 01:58 Government accounts 'should detail spending to show value for money'
- 01:58 Politicians 'working in the dark' over scrutiny of conflict and...
- 01:46 Baywatch babe: Justin Bieber's ex Chantel Jeffries channels Pamela...
- 01:46 'I was struggling with myself too much': Caitlyn Jenner regrets not...
- 01:46 Futuristic flair! Rita Ora dons metallic silver coat over bright...
- 01:46 Red hot! Pregnant Beyonce accentuates bump in sultry crimson gown...
- 01:46 Ellie Goulding puts on a leggy display in a sexy semi-sheer mini...
- 01:41 V&A museum plans to revive design skills
- 01:39 China Stocks-Factors to watch on Thursday
- 01:35 Tesla hikes pay to quell unrest at key German supplier
- 01:35 Samsung Electronics says first-quarter operating profit up 48...
- 01:33 Government accounts 'need to prove value for money'
- 01:31 The Mother of All Bombs: How badly did it hurt IS in Afghanistan?
- 01:29 'She's an attention-seeker!' Chloe Sims continues to vent fury over...
- 01:29 'It was an "us or them" situation': Spice Girls talent show to find...
- 01:28 Celebrating our community
- 01:27 Concerns raised over students' unions' anti-Israel stance
- 01:27 Uganda's Punishment Island: 'I was left to die on an island for...
- 01:26 Samsung Electronics sees stronger earnings from chips, phones after...
- 01:25 Wives wanted in the Faroe Islands
- 01:19 YP Comment: Confident May attacks Corbyn - PM on course for...