Nikkei edges up, helped by domestic-demand sensitive sectors
* Nikkei has been trapped in a narrow range for few weeks
* Exporters' shares mixed
By Ayai Tomisawa
TOKYO, Oct 18 Japan's Nikkei share average edged up on Tuesday, helped by buying in stocks which are sensitive to domestic demand, but gains were limited as the yen inched higher, keeping investors on edge.
The Nikkei rose 0.2 percent to 16,928.31 points by midmorning, after trading in negative territory earlier.
Real estate stocks, pharmaceutical shares and construction companies outperformed, with Mitsui Fudosan Co surging 2.5 percent, Eisai Co gaining 1.6 percent and Kajima Corp advancing... read more
- 15:40 Women’s Tour: “Let’s really show our support for these elite...
- 15:39 Pippa Middleton wedding: Duchess of Cambridge in NUDE outfit with...
- 15:39 Manchester Arena attack 3pm update - what we know so far
- 15:39 New road opens in Alnwick
- 15:38 'We can show the terrorists they can never win' - Manchester's...
- 15:38 Manchester terror attack: How you can pay your respects in Coventry
- 15:38 Wrenthorpe couple badly hurt in Manchester Arena terrorist attack
- 15:38 Kenwick Park: Anne storms to Memorial Trophy win
- 15:37 Europa League final TV channel, kick-off time and odds for Man Utd...
- 15:37 A50 Groby Road northbound from Fiveways Junction closed for second...
- 15:37 Polar bear project at Doncaster's Yorkshire Wildlife Park wins top...
- 15:37 Morrissey biopic to close Edinburgh International Film Festival
- 15:36 Your events in Newcastle & the North East: A music festival,...
- 15:36 Sir Roger Moore: James Bond actor dies aged 89 after short battle...
- 15:35 Promising Forest Town footballer pronounced dead in hospital
- 15:35 Manchester terror attack: Urgent police appeal for dashcam footage
- 15:35 Motorist caught drink-driving after car’s shutdown system kicked in
- 15:35 Rail strikes suspended following terror attack
- 15:34 Manchester Arena terror attack - people with blood group O negative...
- 15:34 Unique grade II listed building in Harborough sold to local firm
- 15:34 Election hustings event in Leamington cancelled due to tragic...
- 15:34 Union calls off Northern Rail strike after Manchester attack
- 15:34 Bootle man jailed for blackmailing girl, 17, over "indecent" photos
- 15:33 Wrenthorpe couple badly hurt in Manchester Arena terrorist attack
- 15:33 Family plan open farm Sunday fun
- 15:33 Mark Casci: Terrorists cannot steal magic of music or the glory of...
- 15:33 New Nissan Micra 2017 - entry-level car hits UK showrooms
- 15:33 Manchester terror attack: Pep Guardiola's family 'unhurt'
- 15:33 Have you got a ‘fugly’ pet? It could be a TV star!
- 15:32 This is what to do if you want to donate blood in Nottingham after...