Nigeria Boko Haram: 75,000 children 'risk dying of hunger'
Some 75,000 children in north-eastern Nigeria risk dying of hunger in "the few months ahead", the UN says.
UN humanitarian co-ordinator Peter Lundberg said that overall 14 million people needed humanitarian assistance in a region that was the former stronghold of Boko Haram militants.
He warned that the UN did not have enough funds to avert the crisis.
Boko Haram jihadists laid waste to the region before being pushed back by Nigerian forces in recent months.
"Currently our assessment is that 14 million people are identified as in need of humanitarian assistance" by 2017,... read more
- 11:35 First class garden for a flower show
- 11:35 Manchester United target Eric Dier keen on transfer despite...
- 11:35 How Linkin Park made rap metal memorable
- 11:35 Paper round-up: Barcelona want Coutinho, Wilshere to West Ham,...
- 11:34 Alliances made as Ulverston prepares for worst case scenario
- 11:34 National crime expert brings experience to Cumbria police service
- 11:35 Antonio Conte: Chelsea have signed a fantastic striker in...
- 11:34 Barrow fire boss praises his men after four-car inferno
- 11:34 Barrow school thankful for new inclusive sensory room
- 11:34 Barrow man jailed for carrying drugs and lock knife
- 11:34 Debate: Recorded crime figures on the rise
- 11:34 Twinkling Stars is officially world class
- 11:34 Cancer fighting cop's year of fundraising
- 11:32 Blac Chyna seems over Rob Kardashian scandal as she joins Nicki...
- 11:32 Family pays tribute to 'beautiful angel' mum-of-four killed in car...
- 11:32 What are the dangers, effects, and laws when it comes to Molly...
- 11:32 Coventry City matches set to be broadcast online
- 11:31 It's the fight club!
- 11:31 A successful run of sports development
- 11:31 These are the most common travel scams - and here's how to avoid them
- 11:31 Coroner rules concerns over care of elderly woman did not cause death
- 11:31 Police officer crisis as the numbers plummet
- 11:31 Motorist to stand trial
- 11:31 Have you heard about the bird?
- 11:31 It's on the buses for prom night
- 11:30 Dismay as Longtown play park plan is turned down
- 11:30 The Open 2017: Jon Rahm gets two-shot penalty withdrawn after...
- 11:29 CCTV captures 'appalling' cyclist hit-and-run
- 11:28 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho well-placed to land Bayern...
- 11:27 Hundreds of Birmingham Airport passengers left without suitcases...