Nicaragua canal scheme 'must be dropped'
Nicaragua must scrap a deal to build a massive inter-oceanic canal as it tramples on the environment and human rights, a leading rights body says.
Up to 120,000 peasants had no way of relocating and there was insufficient compensation, the International Federation for Human Rights said.
The $50bn (£32bn) scheme, started in December 2014, is being built by a Chinese firm.
Nicaragua's government says the canal will bring vital investment.
Wang Jing: The man behind the Nicaragua canal project
Dimitris Christopoulos, president of the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), said:... read more
- 07:58 Tom Hayden, famous anti-Vietnam war activist, dies aged 76
- 07:57 Halloween 2016: Family and kids things to do in Birmingham and beyond
- 07:57 It's time to deliver for gay victims of injustice, says Kezia Dugdale
- 07:57 World Wrestling stars set to take-over Grimsby Auditorium
- 07:56 Phil Jones likes Instagram post trolling Jose Mourinho after...
- 07:53 Liverpool title doubt: West Brom midfielder gives Reds a reality check
- 07:52 Investigation launched after woman raped following Sheffield taxi ride
- 07:50 Grimsby Town must end speculation over manager - OPINION
- 07:50 Chris Doig wants quick end to Grimsby Town manager saga
- 07:50 Proud Grimbarian who sang solo at St Paul's Cathedral was...
- 07:49 Humberside Police using unmarked HGV to catch drivers on their...
- 07:49 On the frontline with Yorkshire Ambulance Service's Red Arrest Team
- 07:49 Transgender people tell their fascinating and heartbreaking stories...
- 07:49 How taxi driver saw a purse in the road and saved a Hull woman's...
- 07:49 Hull KR's Kieran Moran hoping for Four Nations debut
- 07:49 Mike Phelan accepts Hull City confidence is crumbling
- 07:49 Hull thief Benjamin Barnes' £40k splurge on Rolex, Disneyland and a...
- 07:49 GSK seeks U.S. approval for shingles vaccine Shingrix
- 07:49 Hull woman 'feared she was going to die' at hands of ex Jamie Bamforth
- 07:49 Contested Weldon homes plan ‘could unlock £500,000 of sports...
- 07:47 Travel, traffic and weather for Burton and South Derbyshire on...
- 07:46 Ben Stokes inspires England to victory in first Bangladesh Test
- 07:46 Adam Lallana: Playmaker provides Anfield update after reaching...
- 07:46 Expert explains why David Luiz wasn't sent off in Chelsea's 4-0 win...
- 07:46 Liverpool agree deal for midfielder - reports
- 07:46 British man was found dead with ham on his buttocks and genitals in...
- 07:46 Who made Garth Crooks’ 4-5-1 team of the week?
- 07:43 Drivers using mobile phones at the wheel 'absolutely rife' in...
- 07:42 REVEALED: What Mourinho told Conte after Manchester United’s...
- 07:41 Flood defence funding 'favours rich areas'