NHS is in crisis all year round: A&E targets missed as hospitals are now facing winter pressures in summer
The crisis facing the NHS has been laid bare with waiting times at A&E units over the summer surpassing most winters, new figures show.
Key measures were also not met for ambulance response times, referral times for treatment or cancer services, according to the latest data from NHS England.
Pressures on the nation's hospitals have seen the number of patients attending emergency departments increase to nearly two million in August alone.
Today's figures show how hospitals are struggling to cope with demand in the traditionally quieter months of the year - failing to treat one in 10... read more
- 11:53 This huge shark has been caught off the coast of Devon
- 11:53 Taylor Wimpey apologises in leasehold dispute
- 11:52 Leo Baxendale: Bash Street Kids and Minnie the Minx comic legend...
- 11:52 Italy's Renzi set to regain leadership of weakened ruling party
- 11:51 Latest Chesterfield magistrates’ court results
- 11:51 McDonald’s will roll out its new UK home delivery service this summer
- 11:51 Work to start on £2.5m affordable homes scheme in former Derbyshire...
- 11:50 Labour mayor candidate Sion Simon disowns party leader Jeremy Corbyn
- 11:50 Emergency services searching Leeds river after report of body in water
- 11:49 June Osborne announced as new Bishop of Llandaff
- 11:49 Maria Sharapova sent message about French Open wildcard by Paris...
- 11:49 Pervert jailed after sexual assaults
- 11:49 Man United will never dominate the Premier League again like under...
- 11:49 Two children in every Derbyshire classroom suffer abuse
- 11:49 Tributes to Preston cartoonist Leo Baxendale
- 11:49 Resort road closed as firefighters tackle blaze
- 11:48 The worst Premier League sides of all time: As Sunderland edge...
- 11:47 MPs bid for re-election on June 8
- 11:47 Work to start on £2.5m affordable homes scheme in former Derbyshire...
- 11:47 SLIDESHOW: Scouts parade through Brighouse for St George’s Day
- 11:46 'My dog's been bitten by a snake!' Vinnie the labrador rushed to...
- 11:46 Departures are inevitable as Lincoln City plan for life in League Two
- 11:46 Pregnant cash-strapped mum hands back HUNDREDS of pounds found in...
- 11:46 Time to show all the right moves to get Sheffield feeling healthier
- 11:45 MPs bid for re-election on June 8
- 11:45 Pioneering eye test can spot glaucoma 10 YEARS before any symptoms...
- 11:45 Liverpool to Lanzarote flight forced to land because of rowdy...
- 11:44 Two dead after car plunges into river Avon
- 11:44 Photo puts ‘Stan’ in a fine mess
- 11:44 MPs bid for re-election on June 8