NHS cancer testing service 'at breaking point'
Pathology departments in NHS hospitals around the UK are struggling to cope with rising requests for cancer tests, Cancer Research UK has warned.
Without more staff to meet the demand, long waits for test results could become the norm, says the charity.
One in two of us will have cancer at some point, and getting it diagnosed early is vital.
The government says it is investing in cancer services, which includes having the right number and mix of staff.
According to the report:
Year on year, requests for pathology services have been increasing, but staffing levels are not increasing fast... read more
- 13:58 Prince’s Trust team smashes target
- 13:58 LIVE: Red Nose Day 2017 across the Harrogate district
- 13:58 REVEALED: The East Midlands’ favourite beauty spots
- 13:58 Ofsted: Inspiring Tadcaster school earn high praise
- 13:58 Dereck Chisora confirms heavyweight rematch: He will return to ring...
- 13:57 McDonald's branch in Carlisle closed for a month for refit
- 13:57 PS4 games news: CHEAP new sale items are too good to turn down
- 13:57 Children left without heating after break-in at school
- 13:57 Take That split? Gary Barlow speaks out on dwindling band members...
- 13:57 More ‘smart motorway’ work to begin next week
- 13:57 Can YOU see the hidden portrait? Japanese psychologist reveals...
- 13:57 Man United Transfer News: Mourinho jets abroad to sign £35m man,...
- 13:57 Prince’s Trust team smashes target
- 13:57 Students to make Tour trophy from chocolate
- 13:57 Watch: Drugs raid and police crackdown sees four arrested across...
- 13:57 Karen completes charity challenge to swim length of English Channel...
- 13:56 More ‘smart motorway’ work to begin next week
- 13:56 Did robbery victim bang on your car window?
- 13:56 Stockport County v Tamworth: Players and fans are urged to believe
- 13:55 More ‘smart motorway’ work to begin next week
- 13:54 Westminster terror attack: Police make two more 'significant' arrests
- 13:54 Woman robbed by man holding a jagged metal can
- 13:53 Syrian SDF forces reach Tabqa dam-Raqqa campaign spokeswoman
- 13:53 Syria's Ja'afari says U.S. action on Raqqa would be illegitimate
- 13:53 Flowers for fallen hero
- 13:53 Watch: Slideshow of your Hartlepool Red Nose Day pictures.
- 13:53 Aberdeen legend Mark McGhee hailed by Minecraft guru after creating...
- 13:52 Redrow Homes loses bid to build 170 homes in Newport
- 13:52 Did robbery victim bang on your car window?
- 13:52 Fancy a free Domino's pizza this weekend? Here's how you can get one