Newcastle to get a £1million 'spring clean' ahead of the Great Exhibition of the North
Newcastle is to get a £1 million ‘spring clean’ ahead of the Great Exhibition of the North for the city to look its best for the event.
The city council will use the seven figure budget to sweep the streets, pick up litter, remove dog mess, erase graffiti and cutback overgrown shrubbery.
The plan was revealed as more than half of residents who took part in a survey recently said they were not happy with the state of street cleaning in the city.
After years of austerity residents have grown tired of cutbacks to street cleaning, the council survey found.
With thousands of visitors expected to... read more
- 07:05 Over-sterile and germ-free homes ‘could be behind leukaemia...
- 07:04 Hartlepool United eye move for out-of-contract full-back
- 07:04 Man Utd coach Jose Mourinho ‘considers Eric Bailly sale’: Tottenham...
- 07:03 Schools: how to raise £1m a year
- 07:02 Business leaders say economic nationalism is biggest growth threat
- 07:01 Guest Column: Living with bipolar is tough but help is out there
- 06:58 Ariana Grande shares message of support on anniversary of...
- 06:58 Police issue CCTV images of men wanted over Doncaster attack
- 06:57 Michael Sturrock: New rules on data are good business practice
- 06:57 Meghan Markle hints at feminist role in monarchy
- 06:57 Police issue CCTV images of men wanted over Doncaster attack
- 06:56 UK’s new air pollution strategy ‘hugely disappointing’, says Labour
- 06:56 A64 restrictions change to aid traffic
- 06:54 Ariana Grande shares message of support on anniversary of...
- 06:53 Chelsea should NOT sell Eden Hazard even if Real Madrid offer £150m...
- 06:52 Manchester attack: Arena survivors mark first anniversary
- 06:52 Tuesday’s best TV – Manchester: The Night of the Bomb; A&E Live
- 06:52 Ads on the frontline: changing hearts and minds
- 06:52 Karen Bradley urged to restart Stormont talks
- 06:51 Once and for all: your vulva isn’t meant to look good
- 06:51 Fussy teen ate nothing but sausage rolls for 15 years
- 06:51 Mum has her face painted to match her son’s birthmark so she can...
- 06:49 Bradgate Unit could be set for £50m 'complete revamp', here's where...
- 06:48 PNE boss Alex Neil says Deepdale strategy will lead to success
- 06:47 England’s ‘smallest toy shop’ helps Thrapston high street thrive
- 06:47 Wellingborough dancer on course for dream career in the West End
- 06:47 Could you down a pound of haggis for Corby hospice?
- 06:47 Wellingborough drink-driver who gave ‘highest reading ever’ jailed
- 06:46 Anthony Hopkins reveals he doesn't care if he's a granddad after...
- 06:46 Guest Column: Living with bipolar is tough but help is out there