Newcastle's changing face - The Odeon cinema and the demolition of the city centre
The news that the iconic Odeon cinema in Newcastle is to be knocked down represents the latest phase in the re-shaping of the city.
For many long term residents, the skyline has changed, in some areas, beyond recognition.
Time as they say waits for no man - or no building when it comes to regeneration - as revealed here when we list well known local buildings which have either bitten the dust or are in the process of being reduced to rubble, in recent years.
Westgate House, Westgate Road Completed in 1972, Westgate House was a 46-metre high office block, an example of so-called ‘Brutalist’... read more
- 08:33 'People have gone chicken crazy': what the KFC crisis means for the...
- 08:32 Royal Navy shadows Russian spy warships through the English Channel...
- 08:30 Parish councillor resigns to campaign for NHS
- 08:26 Stormzy-backed petition on Grenfell Tower set to be debated...
- 08:26 MPs back ‘Max’s Bill’ for organ donation opt-out system
- 08:26 MOT check - How to check when your car needs service and avoid...
- 08:24 Electrician who left taxi driver with fractures to his face in...
- 08:24 Why a man and his van are taking on North Tyneside Council over new...
- 08:24 Winter Olympics 2018: Watch what it's like to fly down a bobsleigh...
- 08:24 Bargains galore: These secret TK Maxx insider tips will help you...
- 08:24 Creative arts day for Wooler students
- 08:21 Selfless Barrow schoolgirl donates more than 30 meals to foodbank...
- 08:20 Work on Carlisle's railway station roof nears completion
- 08:19 Brexit will take its toll on bulk whisky buys
- 08:19 Chef’s Table: Martin Hollis of The Old Course St Andrews
- 08:20 Officers target Sheffield estates in problem parking drive
- 08:19 Ballathie House Hotel (42/50)
- 08:19 Food blog: Kat Riach
- 08:19 Sideboard with a story to tell
- 08:19 It’s never too late to learn some new cycling skills
- 08:19 From Halifax to the world - Shak became a wrestling star
- 08:18 Travel talk about long distance trek in the Alps
- 08:18 Pokemon Go Community Day SECRET revealed as fans prepare for...
- 08:17 Volunteers unravel a big issue for beaches
- 08:16 Shoppers in Leamington and Warwick encouraged to support ‘Fairtrade...
- 08:16 Head teacher appointed as national leader
- 08:16 Fence is just the ticket for museum
- 08:16 New additions to business forum group
- 08:16 P&G staff lend a hand at foodbank
- 08:16 Milestone reached at Percy Hedley