Newcastle legend Philippe Albert reflects 20 years on from THAT chip in 'once-in-a-lifetime' 5-0 humbling of Manchester United
The match was won. The humiliation complete. The revenge sweet. But the best, the memory which has survived each of the 20 years since and captured perfectly the elegance and audacity of the scorer and his team, well that was still to come.
‘As soon as I touched the ball, I knew it was in. People don’t believe me, but you get the feeling, you know,’ says Philippe Albert, smiling, as he reflects on the goal which crowned Newcastle United’s 5-0 victory over Manchester United on October 20, 1996.
Collecting a pass from Rob Lee some 45 yards out, the Belgian centre back glided forward, too... read more
- 15:59 UPDATE: Missing nine-year-old found
- 15:59 Road closures ahead for Lancaster motorway junction
- 15:59 Corby paedophile who sexually assaulted young girl jailed for four...
- 15:58 Halifax sex offender ensnared by ‘paedophile hunters’
- 15:58 Tributes planned for Anthony Foley ahead of Munster's cup tie with...
- 15:58 Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers: Kolo Toure WILL be ready to face...
- 15:58 Cecilia Ekback wins historical fiction award for first novel Wolf...
- 15:56 Liverpool star sends message to Jurgen Klopp ahead of West Brom clash
- 15:56 UPDATE: Missing nine-year-old found
- 15:55 Pogba Manchester United dream revealed by Chelsea boss Conte
- 15:55 U.S., UK growth data to give steer on monetary policy
- 15:55 Halifax sex offender ensnared by ‘paedophile hunters’
- 15:55 Gypsy folk-rock band with big reputation set for Marchington show
- 15:53 EU 'not capable' of signing Canada deal
- 15:53 How one woman overcame a debilitating stammer to follow her dream...
- 15:53 Court list: Who has been up before Scarborough magistrates?
- 15:52 Child seat product recalled over safety fears
- 15:52 Spooky goings-on on Pumpkin Path in Leamington town centre
- 15:52 Rafa Benitez: This is what being at the top of the Championship...
- 15:52 County Hall move ‘set for full council debate’
- 15:52 Devastation for family after tragic cat deaths
- 15:52 Snapped: Key man trains with Arsenal despite injury fears ahead of...
- 15:50 Battle of Britain Memorial centre faces funding change
- 15:50 Countdown to Horncastle Christmas Tree Festival
- 15:50 Readers’ letters
- 15:49 Missing Notts girl, 14, may be in Derbyshire
- 15:49 Air Ambulance scrambled to Alfreton ladder fall
- 15:49 Diana's stepmother Raine Spencer dies aged 87
- 15:48 Man was so high on drugs he could hardly remember his destructive...
- 15:47 Parks across Harrogate district up for national award