Newcastle delivery man avoids jail after admitting £42,000 tax fraud
A delivery man who admitted VAT fraud of more than £40,000 has avoided jail after a judge said his five children “should not be punished for his dishonesty”.
Michael Quinn, of Aldwick Road, Scotswood , attempted to avoid a £42,500 VAT bill by falsely claiming that key bank statements had been left in a stolen van.
The 40-year-old was paid more than £680,000 to deliver newspapers and magazines to retailers across the North East.
But his business wasn’t registered for tax, and for nine years, Quinn failed to pass his clients’ VAT payments to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
Quinn pleaded guilty... read more
- 11:53 Let's Rock the North East retro festival to take place in...
- 11:52 TRICK OR TREAT: Where to get your Halloween costumes
- 11:51 Politics could derail Reston Station project
- 11:51 Banbury United FC ground sold as part of merger for Brackley...
- 11:51 Revealed: The reasons why Coventry City owners Sisu were granted...
- 11:50 When will 'weather bomb' Storm Brian hit Burton and South Derbyshire?
- 11:49 ‘Nonsense’ to merge Kenilworth and south Coventry to make new...
- 11:49 Crown court date for motorbike thief
- 11:49 Stunning Orionid meteor shower arrives tonight - here's the best...
- 11:49 Athletics: East Kilbride kids inspired after visit from Team GB...
- 11:49 Top class ballet on the big screen
- 11:49 Stirling Albion look to bounce back from Scottish Cup shocker with...
- 11:49 Kobe Steel uncovers more evidence of quality mistakes
- 11:49 Construction begins on Ripley hospital blood test extension
- 11:49 QUICK QUIZ: This week in questions...
- 11:49 TRICK OR TREAT: Where to get your Halloween costumes
- 11:48 QUICK QUIZ: This week in questions...
- 11:48 Officers searching for missing Leeds man
- 11:48 TRICK OR TREAT: Where to get your Halloween costumes
- 11:48 'Bored' 16-year-old picked up by police at 2am driving sister's car
- 11:47 Factory worker cheated death after being CRUSHED by giant cable drum
- 11:47 Gran Turismo Sport: reviews, car list and release
- 11:47 Neal Preston: Exhilarated and exhausted
- 11:47 The best face oils for autumn
- 11:46 ‘I did all this for the old folk’
- 11:46 Stargazers - get ready for the 'most beautiful' Orionid meteor...
- 11:46 Tweed Forum calls for input
- 11:46 Storm Brian: Weather Bomb set to cause miserable weekend for Yorkshire
- 11:45 Colne Town Council's spook-tacular Halloween
- 11:45 "Hot-head" charged after racist rant at police