New Zealand quake: The cut-off tourist town of Kaikoura
The tourists are gone, the town is cut off and the sewage is backing up, but businesses in quake-hit Kaikoura are vowing to struggle on.
The town was cut off from the rest of New Zealand's South Island when a magnitude 7.8 earthquake destroyed its roads and railway on 14 November.
Nearly two weeks later there is still no easy way in or out of the town and its biggest industries - fishing, agriculture and tourism - have ground to an agonising halt, just as it was preparing for peak visitor season.
"Quite literally, the money has just stopped coming in," said Matt Foy, the founder... read more
- 14:53 Shopper fuming after nasty shock buying 'iPhone' for Black Friday
- 14:53 Emile Cilliers parachute trial jury fails to reach verdict
- 14:53 Tom Hingley, Electric Cheese and Wemar to play in Chorley
- 14:52 The tell-tale signs of measles and how to stop it spreading
- 14:52 Amphibious flying car with 210mph top speed and VERTICAL takeoff is...
- 14:52 Dad caught driving while banned was on way to chemist
- 14:51 Catholic school hit with barrage of complaints for statue of Saint...
- 14:51 Dementia news: VIRUSES may play a role in Alzheimer’s - discovery...
- 14:49 People are angry and confused SpongeBob SquarePants is a musical
- 14:49 Hero Hogg is simply the best
- 14:49 Neil McCann refuses to be drawn on future of Dundee keeper Scott Bain
- 14:48 How Escape Live in Coventry is proving a real city success story
- 14:48 New builders' merchant will create 50 jobs
- 14:48 Malia Obama's new boyfriend is former Rugby School head boy
- 14:48 James Bulger killer Jon Venables 'back in prison after being found...
- 14:47 Young farmers join Caernarfon dad's epic quest to climb Snowdon 52...
- 14:47 Ex-boxer who shouted 'Heil Hitler!'in child's face jailed for...
- 14:46 Landmark ruling could affect all Mersey Gateway fine appeals
- 14:46 Footballer turns fundraiser for Stratford charity
- 14:46 Derby County planning to extend Pride Park Stadium
- 14:46 Burton Albion loanee Ben Fox feels more confident during second...
- 14:44 Thanksgiving Facts that will liven up your Turkey Day
- 14:44 Lorry fire shuts A5 near Llangollen
- 14:44 Is Miley Cyrus pregnant? Singer claims it’s a ‘food baby’ – but is it?
- 14:43 Highest ever 24-hour rainfall in 50 years at Lancaster University...
- 14:43 ‘We are still in business’ says Horncastle printer
- 14:42 Former Wolves and Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert speaks about...
- 14:42 Lady of the Lens: Paul Smith on Annie Leibovitz
- 14:42 Modigliani at Tate Modern
- 14:41 Highest ever 24-hour rainfall in 50 years at Lancaster University...