New Zealand geyser erupts, shooting water into the air
A geyser shot water high into the air from New Zealand's Lake Rotorua early on Monday morning, panicking some local residents.
The eruptions at about 04:30 (15:30 GMT Sunday) woke people living in Ohinemutu, in New Zealand's North Island.
Reports said the water reached heights of between seven and 30m (23-98ft).
The area is known for geothermal activity, but the location and size of the geyser is unusually large.
What happened? The Rotorua Lakes Council said a build-up of steam and pressure caused the eruption, according to Radio New Zealand.
Locals reported hearing a series of loud thuds,... read more
- 08:17 Toyota to expand hybrid system development to further cut emissions
- 08:16 Why Nottingham, Leicester and Birmingham are better places to...
- 08:16 Appeal after burglary in Gainsborough
- 08:15 Plea to help our lonely elderly this Christmas
- 08:15 Government facing High Court challenge over Prevent...
- 08:15 NHS whistleblowers 'being fired, gagged and blacklisted'
- 08:15 Prison inmate probed over 'Cop Killer' profile on Xbox Live
- 08:15 Nigel Farage on shortlist for Time magazine's person of the year award
- 08:15 Gagging orders 'used by a number of clubs to silence football...
- 08:14 Councillor on warpath over flood risk rating for Spalding
- 08:14 Plans for health services across Lincolnshire ‘leaked’
- 08:14 Granit Xhaka defends slow start to his Arsenal career ahead of...
- 08:14 Lidl set to open its Bourne store this Thursday
- 08:14 TIM FROHWEIN INQUEST: 'We loved him deeply and we always shall'
- 08:12 Roxanne Pallett enlists celebrity support in mission to tackle...
- 08:12 Apprentice star celebrates soaring Cumberland sausage sales
- 08:12 GHA Coaches: Directors other coach company RJ’s of Wem has...
- 08:11 Staff brush up on DIY to help children’s charity
- 08:11 Thai king appoints new members to royal council - palace
- 08:10 Agent of Zlatan Ibrahimovic-endorsed Man Utd target delivers major...
- 08:09 Chelsea actually paid £28m for Eden Hazard – not £32.5m!
- 08:08 13 reasons Bali should be your next holiday destination
- 08:08 Thinking about dumping someone? Do it before December 17th*
- 08:08 Two-vehicle crash near Husbands Bosworth, Leicestershire
- 08:08 Live: Traffic and travel updates for Leicester and Leicestershire
- 08:06 Arnold teacher jailed for carrying out abuse at prep school
- 08:06 Nottingham Forest news and gossip LIVE: Reds under-18 side in FA...
- 08:06 'Superhuman' Robin Hood Marathon winner smashes world record
- 08:06 REVEALED: Winners of days 5, 6 and 7 in our festive bonanza...
- 08:06 TIM FROHWEIN INQUEST: 'We loved him deeply and we always shall'