New 'opportunity areas' to help improve social mobility for youngsters
A new £60 million programme will target areas where youngsters are failing to achieve their potential, Justine Greening has announced.
The Education Secretary said the "opportunity areas" would help improve social mobility in some of England's most disadvantaged regions.
The scheme will be trialled in Blackpool, Derby, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, and West Somerset - with four more areas set to be announced later.
Speaking at the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham, Ms Greening said the schemes would give children "the best start in life, no matter what their... read more
- 12:06 'We're leaving the EU to embrace the world,' Theresa may tells...
- 12:06 Card skimming device found at shop in Warwick Gates
- 12:06 Recruitment drive for Rotherham NHS Trust Urgent and Emergency care...
- 12:06 COLUMN: Behind the scenes...with The Hepworth Wakefield
- 12:06 25 soap spoilers: EastEnders deadly disaster, Coronation Street...
- 12:06 Britain’s Got Talent judges left speechless after act ‘walks off...
- 12:06 Cop saves pal’s life three times
- 12:06 Bridges Not Walls Trump protest fails to gather momentum in...
- 12:05 ‘Missed opportunities’ to save Poppy from her ‘blighted’ life
- 12:05 Tamworth FC sell Greg Mills to Nuneaton Town as Morrell eyes double...
- 12:05 Dordon singer rubs shoulders with X Factor finalist Saara Alto
- 12:05 Atherstone factory finally set for redevelopment after plans agreed
- 12:05 Paris police search for man on Metro stabbing spree
- 12:05 Finally! Redheads may be getting their own emoji after an...
- 12:05 NHS transformation plans are beset by infighting
- 12:05 Return to Perth for star striker Stevie May is unlikely says Tommy...
- 12:05 EXCLUSIVE: Luke Rockhold to undergo stem cell treatment on injured...
- 12:05 Top 10 most complained about adverts of 2016
- 12:05 Nominations open for the Citizenship Awards for Todmorden 2017
- 12:04 Brother and sister pass driving tests at same time on same day
- 12:04 Do you have dashcam footage of M1 crash?
- 12:04 Friends join forces to cash in on the trend for vintage
- 12:04 ScotRail managing director Phil Verster steps down
- 12:03 Church fracking claim sparks online war
- 12:03 Your chance to see Wicked within 45 minutes from Coventry...
- 12:03 Steven Todd: How will Brexit affect construction?
- 12:03 Why Tottenham could crush Manchester City this weekend
- 12:03 Under fire ScotRail chief Phil Verster quits
- 12:02 Targeting hare coursers in Crowland and Deeping St James
- 12:02 Christine joins council shared management teams