New inter-city train deal delivers just two carriages a day on overcrowded line
A new West Midlands rail deal has been criticised for offering just two extra carriages a day.
Cllr Roger Lawrence, who leads Transport for the West Midlands, said he was disappointed by the £163 million Cross Country rail franchise deal.
The agreement, signed between the Government and Arriva to run the sprawling network of inter-city rail services, was a “lost opportunity” to boost passenger capacity, he said.
Read More Work on HS2 'only six months away'
Cllr Lawrence said: “While the new deal will deliver some passenger benefits, such as slightly faster journeys to Manchester and... read more
- 11:40 MP visits building society branch in Northampton town centre
- 11:40 Eye-witness to Northampton caravan blaze says he saw “purple...
- 11:39 New restaurant planned for Parr Street in Liverpool city centre
- 11:39 Get into the spirit of Halloween with local events
- 11:39 Step inside the Norris Green home that’s been turned into a haunted...
- 11:38 Man airlifted to hospital with head injury after fall in Rushden
- 11:38 Find out how many takeaways have taken over your high street
- 11:37 What will the weather be like for October half term?
- 11:37 Manchester United 'must remain mentally strong and keep going',...
- 11:37 Boy of 13 'drove BMW into a tree'
- 11:37 Arsenal stars enjoy jungle themed birthday celebrations following...
- 11:37 Party promising to overturn Brexit would beat Labour and UKIP in a...
- 11:37 Can YOU spot them all? Fiendishly tricky brainteaser contains 60...
- 11:37 Is the internet becoming unreadable? Trend for light fonts on dark...
- 11:37 Your dog probably dreams about you: Sleeping pooches think lovingly...
- 11:37 How do you treat very young sexual offenders?
- 11:36 Syrian refugees found working in factories supplying UK retailers
- 11:35 Are these the worst views in Britain?
- 11:35 South Cumbria youngsters given a lesson in life saving
- 11:35 Green-fingered Barrow youngsters grow pumpkin patch in school garden
- 11:35 11 ‘micro-crimes’ you’ve probably committed
- 11:34 Kelechi Iheanacho calls for 'focus' in order to improve Manchester...
- 11:34 By (St) George! This one's close to home...
- 11:34 Chelsea can win Premier League title, says Pedro
- 11:34 Where are the best places in Leicestershire to enjoy an autumnal walk?
- 11:33 Concern growing for missing Bourne teenager
- 11:32 Tracker allows drivers to check roads have been gritted
- 11:31 Drivers sent message from pupils and police
- 11:31 Heading a ball can cause significant changes in brain function
- 11:31 Five people die after a plane crashes in Malta International Airport