New era for relaunched market
THOUSANDS of people helped make the newly-revamped Whitehaven Market a roaring success.
In just six months, plans to revive the flagging market have resulted in around 40 stalls turning up to offer a range of items from continental foods to local gifts.
The bustling market was officially launched on Saturday with a ribbon-cutting ceremony by Copeland mayor, Mike Starkie and Whitehaven Town mayor, Raymond Gill.
Town crier, Rob Romano, set off the event with a walk from the top of King Street to the Market Place before stating the Whitehaven Market Charter from 1672.
Families were also... read more
- 13:54 RUMOUR MILL: Barca watch Kane and Eriksen, while Foxes hunt a big name
- 13:54 Keith Stroud to referee Burton Albion for first time since bizarre...
- 13:53 Aston Martin unveils stunning new convertible
- 13:52 PS4 games: PlayStation Halloween sale is good news for Fortnite and...
- 13:53 Dunn deal for Magpies in FA Cup?
- 13:52 Restaurant pest banned from Manchester city centre
- 13:52 Flood warning sirens to be sounded on Friday
- 13:52 Birmingham City LIVE: Updates from Steve Cotterill's pre-Millwall...
- 13:51 MARKO ARNAUTOVIC... on Jose Mourinho giving him a watch for turning...
- 13:51 Planes make skillful landings at Newcastle Airport in spite of...
- 13:50 Get your geek on at Buxton comic-con this weekend
- 13:50 Distraught pregnant woman must survive on 1p a month due to...
- 13:49 Amber Rudd’s decision to send home Americans in Scotland upheld
- 13:48 Spinathon for Royal Preston Hospital raises £100
- 13:48 Teenagers arrested in Llandudno drug raids
- 13:47 Mood in the Chelsea camp is not the best, admits Blues defender...
- 13:47 Carlos Takam confident he can beat Anthony Joshua in Cardiff after...
- 13:47 Manchester United on FIFA 18: How every player looks, highest rated...
- 13:47 Former soldier 'initiation ceremonies' in barracks left him with...
- 13:47 The importance of decentralised solar energy
- 13:46 Emergency services ‘need new law help’
- 13:46 New hope in quest for ancient beer
- 13:46 Flying Scotsman investigation at Nene Valley Railway
- 13:46 Cesar Azpilicueta worried about Chelsea’s state of mind ahead of...
- 13:46 Furious Dudley mum says toddler 'bitten by BEDBUGS' at Pontins
- 13:46 Scotland to become first part of UK to ban the smacking of children
- 13:46 Loose Women: Penny Lancaster breaks down as she reveals she was...
- 13:45 Emergency meeting over British Steel pensions called
- 13:45 Lyon v Sale Sharks: European Challenge Cup preview
- 13:44 Lancaster Brewery raises a glass to prestigious beer listings