New 'cleaner' Bank of Scotland plastic £5 note enters circulation
A NEW, more durable £5 note is to enter circulation across Scotland on Tuesday.
The Bank of Scotland notes are made entirely from polymer - a form of plastic - meaning they are less prone to tearing than paper ones.
The first polymer banknotes entered circulation in Scotland in March 2015 when Clydesdale Bank issued two million notes to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the opening of the Forth Bridge.
Slightly smaller than the existing £5 notes in circulation, the new notes will reuse the existing Bank of Scotland £5 design, with the front retaining the portrait of Sir Walter Scott.
Why... read more
- 16:09 Council grows number of allotment plots it runs in town by 28
- 16:08 When safety is a danger
- 16:07 Gold and silver prices SURGE amid fears US stock markets are about...
- 16:06 Tyne’s link to US war entry
- 16:06 Nottingham mum calls on maternity leave to be increased
- 16:04 Historian digs into Cumbrian village's past
- 16:03 Boy, 10, survives deadly spider bite after receiving record anti-venom
- 16:03 Zlatan Ibrahimovic could play until he’s 40, says Manchester United...
- 16:03 WATCH: Customers praise The Waterfront's new look after it reopens...
- 16:01 Snow to hit Scotland again as Storm Doris aftermath sees...
- 16:00 Where in the North East are you least likely to pick up a speeding...
- 15:59 Air ambulance called after car crashes into Derbyshire shop
- 15:58 Thief caught holding up a toy shop with a carrier bag over her head
- 15:57 The Voice UK 2017: 'It's hard' Linda Lusardi's daughter Lucy...
- 15:55 Wood shoots Leeds United to vital victory over Sheffield Wednesday
- 15:55 This couple with Down’s syndrome are celebrating 22 years of marriage
- 15:55 Concern growing for missing man Stephen Charlton who was last seen...
- 15:54 Philippines people power anniversary sparks anti-Duterte protests
- 15:51 Electronics retailer hhgregg could file for bankruptcy next month:...
- 15:51 Berkshire Hathaway gains $1.6 billion from its huge bite of Apple
- 15:47 Ex-Chelsea star opens up on return to Stamford Bridge
- 15:45 Two-year investigation put South Shields drug smuggler behind bars
- 15:44 Man United boss Mourinho shocked me by doing this, but it backfired...
- 15:43 Swansea boss sends warning to Chelsea: Transfer target will be up...
- 15:43 Arsenal legend: Man United star will be wanted by Premier League...
- 15:43 Antonio Conte: This gave me sleepless nights
- 15:42 Ex-Liverpool FC keeper Doni has no sympathy for Claudio Ranieri
- 15:41 Van crash in North Lincolnshire
- 15:41 Nostalgia: New equipment for Birkbeck School
- 15:41 Hull FC's Jake Connor hopes to retain spot despite 'shocking'...