New car tax charges for 2018 come into force soon - who wins and who loses?
New rules about car tax come into force this year - and some drivers will be losers.
Top of the list of those who will pay more is drivers of diesel cars.
Motorists have been warned the new rules will be “challenging” by industry experts.
It’s also going to be harder to qualify for the tax-free band.
Here is our guide to what’s happening.
How does the system work? The Government says car tax for the first year is based on CO2 emissions.
It could be as low as nothing, or as high as £2,000, and there is a sliding scale in between.
For the second and subsequent years the amount of tax paid is... read more
- 18:53 Millom businesses take advantage of £88,000 improvement grants
- 18:53 Should we expect Alexander Zverev to end 2018 as world No. 1 ahead...
- 18:52 After Victoria Beckham called a 'sourpuss' by Piers Morgan: Is this...
- 18:52 Dale Winton gets star-studded send off as Supermarket Sweep host...
- 18:52 Lost settlements of Loch Lomond traced by archaeologists
- 18:51 Andrew Tyrie won't take Conservative whip in Lords
- 18:51 Staff at Stapleford Park Hotel are told the business is up for sale
- 18:51 Bypass campaigner targets his 80th birthday as opening date for...
- 18:50 Chinese government 'considering scrapping limits on family size'
- 18:50 Mike Pompeo claims Iran carrying out 'assassination operations' in...
- 18:48 Huge blaze breaks out at South Yorkshire industrial unit
- 18:46 Huge blaze breaks out at South Yorkshire industrial unit
- 18:45 Perthshire nature reserve welcomes first osprey chick of 2018
- 18:44 Neighbours speak of shock and sadness as murder investigation...
- 18:43 Huge blaze breaks out at South Yorkshire industrial unit
- 18:39 Neighbours speak of shock and sadness as murder investigation...
- 18:35 Waterlogged garden and exposed wires in Woodford Halse new build...
- 18:34 Travel: Caribbean cruise Scotland on Sunday Travel - banish the...
- 18:34 Book review: The Neighbourhood, by Mario Vargas Llosa
- 18:34 UK urged to sanction 'top Putin oligarchs' as new powers take effect
- 18:32 Pupils dress up to celebrate the Royal couple
- 18:32 Dancing plastic surgeon who cut woman ‘like Freddie Krueger’ left...
- 18:25 Will VAR improve the World Cup?
- 18:25 Graham Potter interviewed for vacant manager’s position at Swansea...
- 18:25 Dom Bess relaxed and ready to make history for England against...
- 18:23 Trump admits North Korea nuclear summit 'may not work out'
- 18:17 Police Scotland's first hijab-wearing officer targeted by racist...
- 18:14 Barrow AFC's Grant Holt on his temporary switch to wrestling
- 18:14 Pedestrian hurt in Grange collision
- 18:12 Carlisle-born footballer Grant Holt on his temporary switch to...