New bowel cancer test which detects blood in stools will cut number of NHS patients needing endoscopies
A new bowel cancer test being rolled out across the NHS could reduce the number of patients referred for endoscopy, research suggests.
The faecal immunochemical test (FIT) looks for hidden blood in the stool, which can be an early sign of bowel cancer.
Using the test could cut the number of patients needing to go to hospital for an endoscopy by almost a third, a new study found.
Previous research has shown between 60 and 80 per cent of patients referred to hospital for the procedure turn out not to have a serious bowel disease.
Dutch researchers looked at results for 810 patients from 266... read more
- 09:54 So you humiliated yourself at the Christmas party. What next?
- 09:54 Chelsea enter race to sign Southampton defender - reports
- 09:53 The search is on for Junior Miss Lincolnshire
- 09:53 VIDEO: Monster Raving Loony Party leader Howling Laud Hope talks to...
- 09:53 Help save lives – give blood at Grantham sessions
- 09:53 Arrest after 3am 999 caller threatens to enter sea
- 09:53 More trains will stop at Morpeth
- 09:52 Give way to cyclists when turning, says British Cycling
- 09:51 BYPY committee and awards date revealed
- 09:51 More strikes at Topshop depot in Solihull
- 09:50 Risking Beijing's ire, Vietnam begins dredging on South China Sea reef
- 09:50 Brazilian footballer takes first steps after plane crash that...
- 09:48 Son of Mackworth man Geoff Seggie due in court today charged with...
- 09:48 Government to respond in Brexit Supreme Court case
- 09:47 Marks confident Town can recover
- 09:47 Boss Page praises ‘unbelievable’ attitude of Cobblers players ahead...
- 09:46 Convenience of a new bar at Sheffield Town Hall site
- 09:46 Crashes cause delays on South Yorkshire motorway
- 09:46 Olympic athlete and Sheffield charity celebrate young people’s...
- 09:46 The rise of a former Victorian bakery: A dozen flats for sale on...
- 09:46 Tom Hughes not concerned by Scunthorpe RUFC's losing streak
- 09:45 Heartbreaking picture of boy, 7, attacked by bullies as he posted...
- 09:45 Anthony Joshua v Eric Molina: Undercard, start time, TV details and...
- 09:44 Ohio passes bill making abortion illegal as soon as heartbeat is heard
- 09:44 British holiday jet diverted after bomb squad finds suspicious...
- 09:42 Crews tackle fire at commercial building in Bispham
- 09:42 Midwife units see one in four mums transferred by ambulance to...
- 09:42 Sign up now for Colour Dash 2017
- 09:41 Beef scheme tagging kits on their way after delays
- 09:41 One lane closed on Southbound M61 due to accident