New bowel cancer test which detects blood in stools will cut number of NHS patients needing endoscopies
A new bowel cancer test being rolled out across the NHS could reduce the number of patients referred for endoscopy, research suggests.
The faecal immunochemical test (FIT) looks for hidden blood in the stool, which can be an early sign of bowel cancer.
Using the test could cut the number of patients needing to go to hospital for an endoscopy by almost a third, a new study found.
Previous research has shown between 60 and 80 per cent of patients referred to hospital for the procedure turn out not to have a serious bowel disease.
Dutch researchers looked at results for 810 patients from 266... read more
- 14:05 Bury CCG considers cutting IVF cycles to balance books
- 14:05 How they rated: Preston North End’s players marked out of 10 for...
- 14:05 Father's warning after daughter cuts her arm on broken glass on...
- 14:05 Man arrested following incident at Cumbrian school
- 14:05 School's sponsored silence raises £1k for vital charity
- 14:04 Children kept mother’s body at home to keep collecting her pension
- 14:03 EA kick-start recovery of the River Witham following major...
- 14:03 Boy, 15, arrested over murder of Sheffield teenager
- 14:02 MH17: Australia and Netherlands accuse Russia of complicity
- 14:01 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho ‘crazy’ about Real Madrid ace and...
- 14:01 Champions League final: Wijnaldum makes Liverpool trophy claim...
- 14:01 The rise of the dog-napper
- 14:01 Parachute plot: The ex-girlfriend who walked away
- 14:00 Where to eat in June: New London restaurants you should check out
- 14:00 Project Update: Final element of retail park bid given green light
- 14:00 Nexus reveal Bank Holiday timetable changes for Metro services
- 13:59 Harvey Weinstein charged with rape and sex abuse against two women
- 13:57 Boy, 15, arrested over murder of Sheffield teenager
- 13:57 It could all be so simple … why did Lauryn Hill disappear?
- 13:57 Fans left with 'invalid' tickets in Ed Sheeran anti-tout scheme
- 13:57 School's sponsored silence raises £1k for vital charity
- 13:55 Kickboxing star who spars with Tyson Fury claims Gypsy King would...
- 13:54 School's sponsored silence raises £1k for vital charity
- 13:53 Bosses blame bad winter weather for delay in opening Sunderland's...
- 13:50 Lakeland Dialect Society to hold church service
- 13:49 Father's warning after daughter cuts her arm on broken glass on...
- 13:47 Ptich perfect boost for Preston youth football club
- 13:47 Emergency incident blocks all railway lines between Meadowhall and...
- 13:46 Saudi Arabia arrests key activist in human rights crackdown
- 13:46 Woman who posted Holocaust denial songs to YouTube convicted