New book shares history of Stamford Hospital
The Friends of Stamford Hospital have launched a new history of Stamford Hospital.
The hospital’s story started in 1823 when prominent local surgeon, Henry Fryer, died and left £7,477 in his will to establish “an infirmary” for the people of Stamford. His generosity was matched by the Marquess of Exeter who donated land on Uffington Road for it to be built.
Completed in 1828, the final cost of construction was £5,793 12s 1d, which equates to £5,793 60½p in modern money. In the intervening 188 years the story of the hospital has reflected developments in healthcare alongside major changes in... read more
- 09:56 Britons spend eight years of their lives on housework
- 09:54 Phew! What's that pong over Lincoln?
- 09:53 Weston brothers in pop with plan to put smile back into music
- 09:52 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho will always respect Chelsea...
- 09:52 National news headlines for Saturday October 22
- 09:51 Foul-mouthed parent rants at woman after school parking complaint
- 09:51 Kanye West pays tribute to wife Kim Kardashian in emotional...
- 09:51 Australians rally for refugees in stand against far-right sentiment
- 09:50 Cash grant will help Carlisle nursery replace flood damaged equipment
- 09:50 Train derails and overturns in Cameroon killing at least 53 and...
- 09:50 Former X Factor boy band Union J perform at north Cumbrian school's...
- 09:49 Fire crews release casualty trapped in machinery at Dyke
- 09:47 BREAKING: Murder probe as British man found tied to Malaga airport...
- 09:46 Pet shop owner fined over waste disposal shambles
- 09:46 Orionids meteor shower: how to see this weekend’s spectacle
- 09:46 Bus wars: Arriva responds to YourBus competition with refurbished...
- 09:44 Oswestry skatepark death: Rave boss avoids being sent to jail
- 09:44 Shropshire netball official jailed for taking £50,000 of club funds...
- 09:44 Property damaged in chip pan fire
- 09:42 Firebugs cause more damage to playground
- 09:42 Warning after youths seen with fireworks at park
- 09:42 Cash grant will help Carlisle nursery replace flood damaged equipment
- 09:42 Former X Factor boy band Union J perform at Cumbrian school's prize...
- 09:40 Arsenal star Laurent Koscielny: This is how Arsene Wenger proved...
- 09:40 Marcus Rashford: Chelsea are just like Manchester United
- 09:38 Fundraising appeal to save Cantelupe Centre from closure gains...
- 09:38 You can ‘bank’ on volunteers to revamp school play area
- 09:36 Travel review: Hit the north to discover the real Portugal
- 09:36 Cumbria County Council to hike taxes by four per cent every year...
- 09:36 'Furness General Hospital staff made me feel like a criminal' says...