Nearly 400 new species are found in the Amazon in just two years, but ALL are in areas threatened by human activity
Scientists have found almost 400 new species in the Amazon rainforest, the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has announced.
Their discoveries, made over a two year period, include a new type of primate from the zogue-zogue or titi monkey family.
The conservation charity is warning that the newly uncovered plants and animals were all in areas threatened by human activity.
The news follows a decision to quash controversial government plans which would see areas of the Amazon opened up to more mining.
STUDY FACTS This is the third report in a series, listing 2,100 new species over the last 17 years. ... read more
- 00:09 'How I joined the jihadis by mistake'
- 00:06 Gatwick Airport: Travel advice as trains from London disrupted...
- 00:06 Meghan Markle reveals the secret travel item she ALWAYS packs in...
- 00:04 BBC’s unlikely worldwide hit: Father Brown
- 00:03 Mansfield teen’s car vandalism spree
- 00:02 Leonard faces soft-Brexit revolt as Corbyn rethinks
- 00:02 Sturgeon blamed as unfilled nursing jobs break records
- 00:01 Love Island’s Muggy Mike opens a kebab shop – after Jess and Dom...
- 23:56 Honda Classic: Tiger Woods sends defiant message to rivals heading...
- 23:55 Charity chief ‘tried to have TV report watered down’
- 23:54 Review: Honda Jazz 1.5 and Civic diesel
- 23:52 Crime-thriller for children puts boot into bigotry
- 23:52 Antonio Conte says he was told to pump up the touchline volume by...
- 23:47 Mardi Gras marchers from 1978 reflect on decades of protest and...
- 23:46 Euan McColm: Brexit letter fritters away Davidson’s capital
- 23:42 Song to remember lost fishermen races up charts
- 23:39 Call of Duty Black Ops 4 AND MW2 Remastered replacing COD WW2 in 2018?
- 23:39 Justin Welby warns of divisive Brexit and crushing austerity
- 23:38 Callum Smith books World Super Series showdown with George Groves
- 23:37 Why David De Gea is the perfect player for Jose's Mourinho style -...
- 23:36 The Big Interview: Angela Scott, co-founder of biotech firm TC...
- 23:34 The Voice UK 2018: Viewers RAGING after ‘best singer’ booted from show
- 23:31 New helpline for soldiers with mental health problems launched
- 23:31 Cadbury chocolate bars banned from NHS buildings after row over price
- 23:29 MSPs appeal for UK help to save at-risk BiFab jobs
- 23:29 Nicola Sturgeon sups from Calcutta Cup in Scots celebrations
- 23:28 Thirsty goalkeeper caught off guard in Bundesliga 2 clash as he...
- 23:28 Cue Card will not go in the Gold Cup as trainer Colin Tizzard lines...
- 23:27 New mother says she 'found bandages in my body'
- 23:25 Ross King: From Knightswood to Hollywood.. you couldn't make my...