Neanderthals survived for 3,000 years LONGER than first thought, according to stone tools and decorative shells found in Spain
Neanderthals survived at least 3,000 years longer than previously thought, in a small enclave in what is now southern Spain.
Experts uncovered three new sites on the Iberian Peninsula that contained distinctly Neanderthal artefacts, dating back 37,000 years.
Previous research suggested that our early cousins were wiped out, most likely by our ancestors interbreeding with them, around 40,000 years ago.
Scroll down for video
HOW EARLY HUMANS INTERBRED The Middle Palaeolithic was a part of the Stone Age, and it spanned from 300,000 to 30,000 years ago.
It is widely acknowledged that during... read more
- 14:37 Queen’s preview: Novak Djokovic can send out statement of intent...
- 14:36 Seven Hull business stories you may have missed this week
- 14:36 Royal Regiment of Fusiliers Museum looking for help to make...
- 14:34 Naked university rowers suspended from Instagram
- 14:34 West Ham transfer news: SIX players linked to the Hammers after...
- 14:34 CO2 shortage could hit UK beer and chicken supplies during World Cup
- 14:34 Hospital payout for cancer patient's family after 'failures in care'
- 14:34 Middle income households faring best since the crash, report finds
- 14:34 Disney raises offer for 21st Century Fox to $71.3bn and outflanks...
- 14:33 Why there could be a World Cup beer crisis
- 14:33 I don’t want to be upskirted – are there any outfits I should avoid?
- 14:33 Where is cannabis legal around the world and where can you only use...
- 14:32 Summer fair will mark Whitley Bay school’s centenary year
- 14:32 Pals team up for Rushden quiz night in aid of Gambian friend
- 14:32 Whitley Bay pub undergoing a major refurbishment
- 14:32 Watch: Paddy McGuinness, Peter Crouch and Jamie Redknapp pile into...
- 14:32 Bookmakers slashed odds on dramatic Love Island return for Charlie...
- 14:32 Whitefield Aldi given go-ahead to knock down 'community hub' next...
- 14:31 10 Fringe and Festival jobs you can apply for now
- 14:30 Drugged driver had pregnant girlfriend in car during high-speed...
- 14:28 The Yorkshire Post says: Emails at PMQs about North’s ‘valueless’...
- 14:28 Watch: Hundreds stop to watch parrot on the loose in Birmingham...
- 14:27 Millionaire refuses to pull down Britain’s biggest man cave so he’s...
- 14:27 Hospital payout for cancer patient's family after 'failures in care'
- 14:26 University of Hull and VISR launch mixed reality accelerator
- 14:26 Playhouse revamp cost to rise by £2m
- 14:24 Road to shut for up to four weeks
- 14:23 Woman accused of curfew breaches
- 14:21 Fire crew called to Workington blaze
- 14:21 Prison governor hospitalised after 'unprovoked inmate attack' at...