Nationwide profits hit by low interest rate environment
Nationwide has reported a drop in half-year profits as low interest rates squeezed profit margins.
Profits at the UK's biggest building society fell to £696m for the six months to 30 September, down from £802m a year earlier.
But it said net mortgage lending was its "best ever", rising by 46% to £6bn.
The mutual organisation also said its current account had attracted record numbers, with 377,000 people opening an account in the period, a jump of 36%.
Nationwide chief executive Joe Garner said: "We have taken the conscious decision to stand by our members, continuing to help... read more
- 05:42 Worrying stats show Birmingham hospital waiting lists at highest...
- 05:41 Lionel Messi: Argentina manager issues urgent message to fans
- 05:40 How old are Prince William, Kate Middleton, Prince Harry and...
- 05:39 Upskirting bill to be introduced by the government
- 05:37 Awaiting the dawn at Stonehenge: midnight parties - archive, 1928
- 05:35 McLaren make huge offer for 'king of the market' Daniel Ricciardo –...
- 05:31 Alder Hey rated 'outstandingly' caring in most recent inspection...
- 05:31 Brave police officers risked their lives to stop man falling from...
- 05:25 If your children have these names you can get into Legoland Windsor...
- 05:24 From Stonehenge to Iceland's Arctic Henge, by motorbike – photo essay
- 05:21 Birmingham Post Business Awards sponsors enjoy Belfry breakfast
- 05:21 'I trust him': Minnesota crowd split on immigration but refuse to...
- 05:16 Oldest Homo sapiens bones ever found shake foundations of the human...
- 05:15 England’s Ruben Loftus-Cheek wants bigger Chelsea role or may leave
- 05:07 'Let the adventure begin!' - What you had to say about the high...
- 05:07 Shocking pictures show the horrific places where homeless people...
- 04:43 Absolute Bowie celebrates the life of David Bowie at Burton's...
- 04:39 The Grimsby taxi drivers who have become unlikely icons of...
- 04:36 Jacinda Ardern #babywatch sends New Zealand media gaga
- 04:34 Hull man hacks victim's emails and calls them 90 times a day
- 04:34 Heart Awards 2018: How to nominate your unsung hero
- 04:27 Charlottesville organiser plans Washington DC rally
- 04:16 Tesco 'planning' discount chain to take on Aldi and Lidl
- 04:06 In pictures: Isle of Wight Festival at 50
- 04:06 Ed Sheeran: Travel and ticket warning for Cardiff concerts
- 04:06 Family's £15k debt from fight against Section 322(5) immigration rule
- 04:03 National Enquirer publisher subpoenaed in Michael Cohen inquiry
- 03:42 Research backs English as key to development
- 03:38 Trump at rally: family separation outcry is a distraction by Democrats
- 03:28 Sex, drugs and A&E: 10 charts on how the under-30s use the NHS