Nagasaki bomb survivor Alistair Urquhart dies aged 97
A former prisoner-of-war who credited the Nagasaki atomic bomb with saving his life has died at the age of 97.
Gordon Highlander Alistair Urquhart said the bomb prevented a Japanese plan to massacre Allied PoWs.
He was blown off his feet by the Nagasaki bomb in 1945. That, and the Hiroshima atomic bomb killed up to 250,000 people, but are credited with hastening the end of World War Two.
Mr Urquhart, from Broughty Ferry, died in a Dundee care home.
His story began when Singapore fell to the Japanese in February 1942.
Serving with the Gordon Highlanders' Second Battalion he had arrived there... read more
- 08:31 Shares in Monte dei Paschi rise strongly at open
- 08:31 Arsenal star Alex Iwobi: How it felt to end my goalscoring drought...
- 08:31 Chelsea Premier League winner: This is what Antonio Conte has...
- 08:30 A590 traffic chaos set to last for another week
- 08:30 Tottenham confident of sealing new Toby Alderweireld contract
- 08:29 Sharp rise in 'trolley waits' for hospital beds in England
- 08:29 Patient's six months of 'hell'
- 08:29 Hong Kong stocks edge up before ECB meeting, aided by commodity shares
- 08:29 Ex-Marine serving life for Afghan prisoner’s murder could have...
- 08:29 Security forces in Kazakhstan conduct special operation in Aktobe
- 08:28 Delays on A19 near Tyne Tunnel following crash
- 08:27 Poppy Widdison, 4, death: The moment accused asked mum, 'is she...
- 08:26 OPEC deal will go ahead even if only Russia commits - Nigeria oil...
- 08:26 John Menzies names former DHL executive as head of distribution unit
- 08:26 Football fan arrested for throwing burger at police horse
- 08:26 Missing teenager failed to turn up to meet friends in Nottingham...
- 08:26 Teenager killed himself ‘after being belittled by JobCentre staff’
- 08:26 Missing Clifton woman's car left in Beeston
- 08:26 Premier League heavyweights face January struggle: Star man set for...
- 08:25 We’re not sure if Primark has thought this customisable Christmas...
- 08:25 Someone’s created a new app to help Londoners find the best parties...
- 08:24 Donington ‘eyesore’ set for transformation after planning vote
- 08:23 Patient's six months of 'hell'
- 08:22 Gary Neville sends warning: Jose Mourinho must do this at...
- 08:22 Traffic alert: Vehicle fire forces M1 lane closures near Wakefield
- 08:21 Aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious to make final journey to...
- 08:21 NHS regulator orders crackdown on high payments to temporary bosses
- 08:21 Watchdog fines Lib Dems £20,000 over undeclared general...
- 08:21 Drug firms fined almost £90m after hiking cost of epilepsy drug to...
- 08:21 Letter: Farage is so feared by the elite