Nagasaki bomb survivor Alistair Urquhart dies aged 97
A former prisoner-of-war who credited the Nagasaki atomic bomb with saving his life has died at the age of 97.
Gordon Highlander Alistair Urquhart said the bomb prevented a Japanese plan to massacre Allied PoWs.
He was blown off his feet by the Nagasaki bomb in 1945. That, and the Hiroshima atomic bomb killed up to 250,000 people, but are credited with hastening the end of World War Two.
Mr Urquhart, from Broughty Ferry, died in a Dundee care home.
His story began when Singapore fell to the Japanese in February 1942.
Serving with the Gordon Highlanders' Second Battalion he had arrived there... read more
- 14:20 WATCH: Storm Doris causes chaos across Burton and South Derbyshire
- 14:18 Arsenal star has been a major disappointment this season - Didi Hamann
- 14:17 High Peak councillors approve 1.9% council tax hike
- 14:17 Nicola Sturgeon's 'heart breaks' for Paige Doherty's family after...
- 14:16 Coronation Street: Is Michelle Connor about to STEAL Leanne...
- 14:15 Sixty schools still lack a defibrillator
- 14:15 Amazon Prime imam 'stopped in the street for selfies'
- 14:15 Jury told girl 'lured' Tuohy
- 14:15 Hairdryers used to strike blow against speeders in Hopeman
- 14:15 Good Samaritans thanked
- 14:15 Date set for second inquest into suspicious death of Cumbrian baby
- 14:15 Chemo didn't stop Jo tackling challenge list
- 14:15 WATCH: Burton Albion vs Blackburn Rovers result predicted by...
- 14:14 Pictured: Diego Costa in Chelsea training ground ‘scrap’, David...
- 14:12 Arsenal FC lie in wait for former Lambs star Habergham
- 14:11 Jose Mourinho wants Casemiro at Manchester United
- 14:11 Pep Guardiola eyed Kylian Mbappe last summer - are Man City set to...
- 14:11 Manchester United legend Eric Cantona reveals his best ever team mate
- 14:10 Discover storybook characters at trail
- 14:10 ‘Radical’ new vision for Lancashire’s public sector
- 14:10 Global stocks near highs, dollar drifts after Fed see hike 'fairly...
- 14:10 Most popular Championship matches: Which teams attracted most TV...
- 14:09 Mercedes boss Toto Wolff: How Lewis Hamilton has reacted to the...
- 14:07 Massive tree smashes sheds and fences in Eyres Monsell
- 14:06 Burglar struggles with homeowner
- 14:06 All aboard the Second City Crossing
- 14:06 New planets that could host alien life discovered with help of...
- 14:05 UCLan team helps to find new planets
- 14:05 Police warn people to ‘stay off roads’ as Storm Doris hits
- 14:05 Numbness and tingling in the hands could be THIS common syndrome -...