Mystery of the 'significant' emissions spotted in space: Astronomers say strange signals could be from hidden galaxies
At the end of last year, researchers using Nasa’s Swift space observatory launched an investigation to study a group of mysterious radio sources first detected nearly six decades ago.
For four months, team observed 21 bright radio sources from the revised Third Cambridge Catalogue, leading to the detection of ‘significant’ emissions for nine of them with the X-ray Telescope.
But, when using the spacecraft’s Ultraviolet/Optical Telescope, no sources could be found.
These new observations support earlier assumptions that the source of these emissions may be ‘heavily obscured’ active... read more
- 19:35 Ireland abortion referendum goes down to the wire
- 19:26 MPs call for pet shop puppy sales ban
- 19:23 Grenfell inquiry opens to emotional testimony from survivors
- 19:23 Russian activity in City of London faces further scrutiny by MPs
- 19:23 Part of M20 to be used as lorry park to counter Brexit jams at Channel
- 19:17 Matlock student competes for Young Horticulturalist of the Year title
- 19:16 Darren Moore's West Brom to do list: The issues the new boss must...
- 19:11 Paris Gourtsoyannis: Why angry UK needed a royal wedding
- 19:11 Paris Gourtsoyannis: Indyref2 may be battle of ‘identitarian’ politics
- 19:10 Author Kate Mosse on returning to writing after a long hiatus
- 19:10 Forget two-week holidays and go for three-day adventures instead
- 19:09 Voters prefer Labor's tax plan, but two-party gap tightens –...
- 19:09 Barack and Michelle Obama to make films for Netflix
- 19:08 Man calls cops after being stalked by pig
- 19:08 Former Emmerdale star Lisa Riley reveals she's engaged to her "soul...
- 19:05 Jim Murphy: can the ‘Irn-Bru’ street fighter save Scottish Labour?
- 19:00 Family's frantic search for Romeo the talking parrot who flew off...
- 18:59 Desire can deliver Champions League dream for Liverpool, says...
- 18:58 Scarborough teenage hammer threat car robbers locked up for 11 years
- 18:57 Doors, backpacks and Ritalin: what Republicans have blamed school...
- 18:56 Northamptonshire golf club captain raises thousands in memory of...
- 18:56 Memorial garden could become games pitch at Northampton primary school
- 18:56 Arsenal confirm Santi Cazorla has left the club
- 18:53 The royal wedding was a display of black culture and I’m here for it
- 18:53 South Yorkshire taxi driver goes on trial accused of sexually...
- 18:53 Can your boss legally read your work e-mails? This is the law
- 18:52 Ruth Davidson calls on PM to oppose push for new independence poll
- 18:52 Real Madrid vs Liverpool: Zinedine Zidane’s planned starting XI...
- 18:50 Blaxton greyhound owner recounts tale of woe over Double Duvet's...
- 18:49 Dolphin stranded on British beach had rubber glove inside its stomach