Mystery as 2,400-year-old mutilated remains of nine people and a baby are found 'intertwined in death' in a spiral shape as part of a Mayan burial ritual
The 2,400-year-old Mayan remains of nine young adults and a baby ritually 'intertwined' in death have been found south of Mexico City.
The ten individuals, who had their heads damaged and teeth mutilated, would have been the earliest settlers near what is now Mexico City.
Laid out in a strange spiral shape, the bodies were buried with bowls, pots, basins and some also had ceramics and stones in their hands.
Mayan people had an enormous fear of death and believed that when someone died, it had been because their souls had been stolen by evil spirits.
Scientists hope the discovery may help... read more
- 02:08 How the US and Rwanda have fallen out over second-hand clothes
- 02:03 'Spider-Man' of Paris climbs four storeys to rescue dangling boy
- 02:03 Tim Hunt: ‘I’ve been hung out to dry. They haven’t even bothered to...
- 01:56 A war of nerves between Pakistan's military and Sharif
- 01:54 Colombia elections: rightwinger and former guerrilla head for...
- 01:53 'On brand': Helen Dale accused of plagiarising tweets
- 01:26 Mamoudou Gassama: Mali 'spiderman' wows France with Paris child rescue
- 01:22 How do I know if it's going to rain?
- 01:19 Engineering consultancy IKM secures fresh work
- 01:00 WH Smith high street sales fall as spoof books disappoint
- 00:46 Figures reveal art auction gender imbalance
- 00:42 Liverpool star Andy Roberton refuses to blame Mohamed Salah injury...
- 00:41 WH Smith rated UK's worst high street shop by Which? readers
- 00:40 Monica Lewinsky and Stormy Daniels: Political scandals across two eras
- 00:36 Jeremy Hunt vows to tackle gender pay gap in medicine
- 00:36 Boris Johnson launches fresh attack on customs union
- 00:36 BREAKING NEWS: Kirklees Council close sports pitches
- 00:30 Jeremy Hunt vows to tackle gender pay gap in medicine
- 00:29 Sudoku 4071 easy
- 00:25 Britain's 'most scenic' bus route revealed
- 00:15 Dog with seizures costs £30,000 as pet claims hit record
- 00:15 Suez waste company calls for 'pay-as-you-throw' to help recycling
- 00:15 WH Smith voted UK's worst High Street shop in Which? survey
- 00:12 Waddingtons board games archive reveals wacky finds
- 00:12 Food and farming sector makes post-Brexit demands
- 00:05 Review to 'eliminate gender pay gap among doctors'
- 23:53 Manchester United star Eric Bailly sends class message to Liverpool...
- 23:52 Labor increases Newspoll lead over Coalition 52% to 48%
- 23:39 Flash floods close roads in parts of the Midlands
- 23:22 Arsenal agree deal in principle for Juventus star Stephan...