Mysterious genetic disease that causes sufferers to swell to double their size at random - but doctors have no idea why
A rare genetic disorder causes sufferers to swell as if they are having an allergic reaction - but it happens at random.
Hereditary angioedema (or HAE) is a condition that deprives the blood of protein.
For some reason, this leads sufferers to have spontaneous attacks of swelling that could stop them from breathing.
And drug manufacturers are only just beginning to develop a kind of antihistamine that may be able to provide instant relief.
One sufferer, Linda Miller of Houston, Texas, described her condition to Click 2 Houston.
SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO
‹ Slide me › Normally a slender and... read more
- 03:26 Oil prices inch down as oversupply concerns fester
- 03:26 Nikkei edges up, high-tech shares jump on earnings
- 03:19 France kills more than 20 militants on Mali, Burkina border
- 03:09 Greater Manchester mayor could change 'insane' bus system
- 02:57 Bob Brodie Trophy: McGonigle passes the 50 goals mark
- 02:49 Macron PLUMMETS in the polls as Marine Le Pen enjoys boost a WEEK...
- 02:49 'We miss him terribly' - Widow's heartbreak after losing Sheffield...
- 02:25 Ian Martin: Five million reasons we need an assembly
- 02:25 Vivienne Francis: Everyone has a role to play in dementia battle
- 02:25 Jayne Dowle: At last there is a chance to do politics differently
- 02:17 Men who tell sexist or homophobic jokes suffer from low self esteem
- 02:17 Social media giants 'shamefully far' from tackling illegal content
- 02:14 North Korea CANNOT be allowed to build better missiles after failed...
- 02:09 Six child actors who retired from showbiz
- 02:08 Twenty-First Century Fox in talks with Blackstone to buy Tribune
- 02:01 Siemens, SAP sign cooperation deals with Saudi Arabia - officials
- 02:01 Asian stocks sluggish after weak U.S. GDP, dollar dips
- 01:50 Rhian Sugden flaunts her ample bust and tiny waist in skimpy...
- 01:50 Sunday errands! Gwen Stefani oozes elegance in ruffled blouse as...
- 01:43 Trump could target 'carried interest' tax loophole: official
- 01:40 Men who tell sexist or homophobic jokes suffer from low self esteem
- 01:39 'Germany's culture must be respected' Angela Merkel's minister...
- 01:38 Men who tell sexist or homophobic jokes suffer from low self esteem
- 01:37 Police in Sheffield uncover haul of class A drugs after raid on...
- 01:34 Reform 'high stakes' primary tests, MPs urge
- 01:29 Manchester United star Ander Herrera looks glum after latest draw...
- 01:23 Tony Blair's legacy 20 years on
- 01:23 Men who tell sexist or homophobic jokes suffer from low self esteem
- 01:23 Brighton star Steve Sidwell poised to win Championship against...
- 01:23 Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham are heaping pressure on Chelsea...