Mysteries, period drama and celebrity memoirs: Book reviews
Holding by Graham Norton (Hodder & Stoughton, £20)
Many celebrities seem to think they have a novel or a children’s book in them so I approached Holding with some misgivings, only to have them pleasantly confounded.
Graham Norton, it turns out, is as witty on the page as he is on screen and radio, and knows how to tell a good story at a brisk pace. The novel is set in a remote Irish village, Duneen, where “time didn’t pass; it seeped away”.
Sergeant PJ Collins has been Duneen’s local garda for two decades but his most taxing job is directing traffic for the annual village show.... read more
- 09:30 Brains get slacker with age, say scientists - and it could cause...
- 09:29 300 seasonal jobs for Bathgate as Royal Mail opens parcel sort...
- 09:28 Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino pays big compliment to Jurgen...
- 09:28 Brains get slacker with age, say scientists - and it could cause...
- 09:28 City centre street closed after motorcyclist injured in crash
- 09:27 Motorcyclist died after crash on A38 slip road, despite public...
- 09:27 Inside Out to take closer look at NHS diabetes epidemic
- 09:26 Google Pixel vs Samsung Galaxy S7: Best Android phone 2016
- 09:25 Bahrain's Investcorp says to buy 3i's debt-management business
- 09:25 Costa Coffee owner Whitbread's first-half profit rises
- 09:25 Netflix CEO gives conditional approval of AT&T-Time Warner deal
- 09:25 Eyewitness describes harrowing moment Dreamworld rapids ride...
- 09:23 Sean Gregan’s Exclusive PNE column
- 09:23 Secret filming reveals problems relinquishing timeshares
- 09:23 Mourinho preparing Manchester United cull in January transfer window
- 09:22 Noisy students warned to keep quiet - or face prosecution
- 09:21 Look who's 102!
- 09:21 Promising judo star Jamie Death, 11, scoops gold at competition
- 09:21 Passer-by who tried in vain to help Aigburth murder victim: 'I...
- 09:21 Walking over hot coals raises £6,000 for Rainbow House
- 09:21 Lonely Planet puts North Wales #4 in 2017 best places to visit
- 09:21 Green-fingered Alan pens book on life in Preston’s parks
- 09:21 That super hot carb-loving Peruvian chef is now doing naked...
- 09:20 Heaton salon owner 'gutted' after thieves steal luxury ghd collection
- 09:20 Chester Miles of Smiles dinner guests entertained by former...
- 09:20 Anglo American boosts European mining shares to highest since last Aug
- 09:20 Congolese oppose extension of Kabila's mandate, poll shows
- 09:18 Australia's richest woman invests $300 million in British fertilizer
- 09:18 Snapped: Huge boost for Chelsea as Kurt Zouma plays for reserves…...
- 09:16 Whitbread profits perked up by rising Costa sales