Myanmar's new economic zone attracts foreign interest but local ire
YANGON (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Looking north from Myint Win's farm, across rice paddies and past bamboo huts, a massive new industrial development on the outskirts of Myanmar's biggest city gleams in the distance.
The buildings sprang up during the first phase of developing the Thilawa Special Economic Zone (SEZ), a 6,200 acre (2,500-hectare) industrial project that is a joint venture between the governments of Myanmar and Japan and some private consortia.
The factories that have been built produce everything from children's toys to clothing, medical supplies to electronics.
For... read more
- 17:14 Cartmell Shepherd officially opens new office in West Cumbria
- 17:14 Jail for transgender beautician who assaulted police constable
- 17:13 Israel scraps plan to forcibly deport African migrants
- 17:13 Oh I do like to be beside the seaside! The top 10 beachside holiday...
- 17:13 Palma becomes first Spanish city to ban property owners from...
- 17:13 Reports from the court
- 17:13 Clear space on your dressing table – RuPaul is releasing a...
- 17:10 Leeds's Turtle Bay allowed to trade later despite police concerns
- 17:10 Emergency fix after cable fault in Spalding
- 17:10 MEP urges support for PM as she negotiates Brexit
- 17:09 Explore art after hours with Museums at Night
- 17:09 The 13 most annoying things about living in Great Barr
- 17:09 Harron Homes donate £1,000 to Shireoaks Village Hall renovation...
- 17:08 Borough Park burglars blasted by Workington Reds' joint-chairman
- 17:08 Melton Year 6 pupils at Swallowdale School pitch in to move bus...
- 17:07 Liverpool v Roma: Fan favourite John Arne Riise makes worrying...
- 17:07 Uppingham Hopper bus service all set to roll next week
- 17:07 Lincolnshire Police reveals upsurge in assualts on officers
- 17:06 Thomas Orchard custody death: Police force charged
- 17:06 Motorcyclist seriously injured after crash with car near Rugby
- 17:04 Scottish Government opens hub in Berlin to boost business links
- 17:04 Former member of Northamptonshire's Jesus Army member jailed for...
- 17:03 Former carer repeatedly stole from from vulnerable Leamington woman
- 17:03 Nicky helps champ break Boxercise world record
- 17:03 Jeff Bezos v the world: why all companies fear 'death by Amazon'
- 17:03 Cyber crime officers to be recruited in West Yorkshire
- 17:02 Harron Homes donate £1,000 to Shireoaks Village Hall renovation...
- 17:02 Toronto man charged in 'horrific' van attack that killed 10 people
- 17:02 Trump dismisses query about Michael Cohen pardon with two words:...
- 17:02 Cambridge Analytica: five key claims by academic at heart of scandal