Myanmar's new economic zone attracts foreign interest but local ire
YANGON (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Looking north from Myint Win's farm, across rice paddies and past bamboo huts, a massive new industrial development on the outskirts of Myanmar's biggest city gleams in the distance.
The buildings sprang up during the first phase of developing the Thilawa Special Economic Zone (SEZ), a 6,200 acre (2,500-hectare) industrial project that is a joint venture between the governments of Myanmar and Japan and some private consortia.
The factories that have been built produce everything from children's toys to clothing, medical supplies to electronics.
For... read more
- 15:45 Caring brothers recognised for efforts to raise hundreds for charity
- 15:45 Sunderland Post Office closed by strike action
- 15:44 Mums and dads save up to £5000 a year on free child care thanks to...
- 15:41 Ex-Walsall striker Troy Deeney opens up on turning away from crime
- 15:41 Two Black Country leisure centres to close over Christmas
- 15:39 The 13 burning questions Google is being asked about Nottingham
- 15:34 Derby people looking for love needed by TV show First Dates
- 15:33 Derbyshire police investigates reports of historic child abuse in...
- 15:28 Gourmet Burger Kitchen planning to open in Leicester
- 15:27 David Luiz: My reaction to Chelsea's vital victory over Manchester...
- 15:27 Diego Costa: What I thought of Chelsea beating Manchester City
- 15:27 Bournemouth v Liverpool – TV channel, time, date, odds and...
- 15:27 Man United star slams David Luiz after horror challenge: Chelsea...
- 15:27 Everton v Manchester United – TV channel, time, date, odds and...
- 15:27 Antonio Conte delighted with Chelsea character in win over...
- 15:26 Thai activist arrested for sharing king's profile on Facebook
- 15:20 Stalybridge Celtic v Boston United LIVE - Pilgrims take an early lead
- 15:20 Indonesian police plane with 15 on board goes missing
- 15:19 Manchester City lose their heads during loss to Chelsea as Sergio...
- 15:17 PewDiePie is going to delete his YouTube channel very soon
- 15:15 Skegness police have man in custody accused of burglary
- 15:14 Cristiano Ronaldo tax evasion allegations Q&A: The lowdown on...
- 15:14 Manchester City 1-3 Chelsea - PLAYER RATINGS: Diego Costa inspires...
- 15:14 Swadlincote school gets behind Feed Our Families campaing to help...
- 15:14 MAPPED: How close do YOU live to a nuclear bomb?
- 15:11 Premier League LIVE: Follow Tottenham, Sunderland and Leicester in...
- 15:11 Antonio Conte: What I really think about our win over Manchester City
- 15:10 Rail is on the up, but buses still struggle
- 15:10 Marketing campaign pulls in the visitors
- 15:10 Rail makes a comeback