Myanmar court jails Dutchman for three months for disrupting Buddhist sermon
A Myanmar court on Thursday sentenced a Dutch tourist to three months in prison and a fine after he unplugged a public address system that was relaying a Buddhist sermon, his lawyer said.
Klaas Haytema, 30, was arrested after he entered a community hall in the central city of Mandalay on Sept. 23 and disrupted a recitation by Buddhist laymen.
Haytema told a court hearing on Tuesday he was unaware a religious ceremony was in progress, but disconnected the hall's loudspeakers because they were disturbing his sleep, said Hla Ko, a Myanmar lawyer who volunteered to represent the Dutchman.... read more
- 07:15 Ten inspirational women from Hull who should have a statue like Amy
- 07:15 Sparkling performance sees Joanne Clifton top the leader board for...
- 07:15 What would happen if a nuclear bomb hit Hull?
- 07:15 Cleethorpes Beer Festival proves a tasty day out - pictures
- 07:15 'We were fined at the Tesco St Stephen's car park'
- 07:15 Drone footage shows how the birds view Haile Sands Fort
- 07:15 Cocktail maker preparing to shake things up in Russia!
- 07:15 Crime hotspots: Latest figures reveal the top offences where you live
- 07:15 Revealed: Full cost of fly-tipping to taxpayers in Grimsby area...
- 07:13 Black Friday is back - when is this year's major sale event?
- 07:12 FARMING MATTERS: Self sufficient farmers wives
- 07:12 Lewis White and Adam Peaty are guests of honour as Derbyshire...
- 07:11 Councillor pledges to reverse any changes to taxi licensing if...
- 07:10 How Manchester United should line up vs Chelsea
- 07:10 How Man City should line up vs Southampton
- 07:10 With people out of work or suffering wage cuts this should be...
- 07:10 Blasts injure people in Japanese city
- 07:07 Big charity total raised by store staff
- 07:05 This test will determine just how much control your cat has over you
- 07:05 12 people on the quickest ways they’ve seen their friends mess up...
- 07:04 Opium crops spread in Afghanistan as Taliban gains ground, U.N. says
- 07:04 Ecuador’s Yasuni park: where oil vies with tourism for the rainforest
- 07:01 ScotRail goes from bad to worse despite promises from Abellio to...
- 06:57 Three quarters of parents think mobiles have negative effect on...
- 06:57 Migraine sufferers ‘should avoid processed meats and leafy greens’
- 06:57 BUSINESS EYE: Not our finest hour...
- 06:57 Center Parcs backs Tommy’s Super Sibling Award 2017
- 06:55 Lincolnshire Trading Standards warning over fireworks being...
- 06:42 Family of woman feared beaten to death in Israel smeared by Police...
- 06:47 Give A Pet A Home: Dogs at Animal Lifeline in need of homes