My patient ended her life at Dignitas to avoid a slow, undignified death
Some years ago, while working as a district nurse at a GP practice, one of the receptionists came to tell me she had just taken a phone call from the son of a patient to say he had returned from the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland. His mother, who had recently been diagnosed with a neurological condition that would kill her slowly, and with loss of dignity and independence, had taken her life there.
The reception staff were shocked. I was shocked. My team was shocked. I was dismayed that this lady, who I had known for a number of years, had to go to another country to receive the care she... read more
- 06:38 Stocks plummet as China reveals plans to impose tariffs on US
- 06:37 Morecambe look to end big week at the Globe Arena on high against...
- 06:37 Long road to Preston first team worth it for Ben Davies after...
- 06:35 Man Utd star Paul Pogba in fresh setback after World Cup blow
- 06:35 Guest column: Clumber Park vandals are just mindless criminals
- 06:33 Leader comment: US President or the biggest bully in the playground?
- 06:31 Friday’s best TV: Sport Relief; Britain’s Favourite Food
- 06:31 Yorkshire school leaders meet in Leeds to discuss academies and...
- 06:30 Mansfield man punched nightclub doorman as he was ejected
- 06:29 $esc.html($content.name)
- 06:29 South Shields barber to go head to head with the best in the UK for...
- 06:29 Gazza on his way back to South Shields for sportsmans dinner
- 06:29 Jarrow couple’s plea to help solve decade-long damp problem
- 06:24 Woman found out she was born without a vagina, uterus or cervix at...
- 06:24 The most popular landmarks where people propose
- 06:23 Dirty nappies and empty ice cream cartons donated to charity shop
- 06:22 Australia's exemption from Trump steel tariff is temporary, with...
- 06:22 Guest column: Government cuts left the NHS on the verge of collapse...
- 06:22 Rituals in Scotter reach semi finals of L’Oréal Colour Trophy Awards
- 06:20 Owen Smith calls for public poll on final Brexit deal
- 06:20 Man Utd stars Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford send classy messages...
- 06:16 Easter fun at Oscras to ensure youngsters have cracking time
- 06:17 A popup cafe dedicated to vegan Baileys is coming to London
- 06:16 Hartlepool jobless benefit claimants at highest for last five years
- 06:16 Delight as Hartlepool chosen to host world indoor bowls competition
- 06:16 £10,000 scheme to help prevent Hartlepool children going hungry in...
- 06:16 TV talent show star Michael Rice returns to former Hartlepool school
- 06:15 Comic Relief to ditch white saviour stereotype appeals
- 06:15 MPs demand tougher rules on night flights for Heathrow upgrade
- 06:15 Leader comment: The secret to long life is in our hands