My final year at Oxford, when I felt punished for having ME
I had made it to the final year of my English degree at Oxford University, but I almost didn’t make it any further. I’d applied knowing the workload would be heavy but was still unprepared for the intensity of the course, which would often require two essays a week. For a single essay, we could be expected to read three novels as well as vast amounts of other reading. My peers and I would think nothing of doing a couple of all-nighters a week to stay on top of it. The next morning at breakfast, we would exchange tales of our martyrdom – someone had stayed up for three days straight reading... read more
- 11:38 Remember: Clocks spring forward tonight
- 11:38 Former Blackpool officer will be county’s chief
- 11:37 17-year-old amateur boxer dies after collapsing in ring
- 11:36 Blyth students enjoy a trip to New York
- 11:36 Shane Long: This is what Seamus Coleman was like on the field after...
- 11:34 Why I get mistaken for being drunk
- 11:34 The Great War in the voices of the people
- 11:34 Belford GP to retire in April after 35 years
- 11:34 The man taught to have sex by lesbians
- 11:34 Man carrying rifle in Crook street arrested
- 11:34 Remember: Clocks spring forward tonight
- 11:32 Traffic lights on A590 at Lindal still in place
- 11:32 Chocolate bars could get smaller after Brexit warns Cadbury
- 11:31 Horror as abandoned Bulldog is found with horrific skin condition
- 11:31 West Brom: The bumper list of free transfers available for Tony...
- 11:31 Aston Villa: The bumper list of free transfers Steve Bruce could...
- 11:30 When do the clocks go forward in 2017? Here's what you need to know...
- 11:30 Robbie Savage: I was right about this Manchester United star
- 11:29 Karim Benzema gives striker transfer advice: Man United and Arsenal...
- 11:28 Aldi shoppers warned over this fake voucher scam
- 11:28 Uma Thurman co-star Rosie Day in Coventry to visit baby hospice
- 11:28 This Keresley home with STUNNING landscaped gardens could be yours
- 11:27 Search is on for war hero's family after medal is found buried in...
- 11:26 Teen dies after taking elephant tranquilisers bought illegally on...
- 11:26 Man with Derbyshire links was sat next to bomber in Brussels terror...
- 11:25 QUICK QUIZ: The week in questions
- 11:24 A very wise person has developed a wine bottle that doesn’t drip
- 11:24 Barcelona given asking price for star man: Liverpool won't be happy
- 11:24 Seven days left to avoid higher car tax bills: Cost of new vehicles...
- 11:24 This referee has been red-carded after 40 years - here's why