Mutant chickens that can lay the eggs of OTHER hens may help save rare breeds
It is a new twist on the old question: 'Which came first, the chicken or the egg?'
Scientists from Edinburgh's Roslin Institute - who brought us Dolly the first cloned sheep - have come up with a new way of producing chickens.
The scientists created a genetically modified chicken which cannot lay eggs of its own, but acts as a 'surrogate mother' for other hens.
Rare breeds of chickens – such as the Scots Dumpy, the Marsh Daisy and the Cream Legbar – could be preserved for posterity, experts said.
Scroll down for video
To create the mutant chicken, scientists edited genes to 'knock out' the... read more
- 15:15 Lancashire recommends.... independent jewellers
- 15:15 Hybrid ‘super-slugs’ are invading British gardens and we can’t stop...
- 15:14 Libyan wealth fund trial against SocGen to start in UK court
- 15:14 Amazon, Alphabet drive Nasdaq to record high
- 15:14 Syrian youth find freedom in Parkour
- 15:14 Two arrested after Crich Post Office robbery
- 15:13 Go with the slow! Cambridge is named as having the slowest traffic...
- 15:13 This man has been crowned the best property dealmaker in Notts
- 15:13 Sheffield hospital trust launches new online disability access guide
- 15:13 Premier League stats: Who has scored the highest percentage of...
- 15:12 Slingsby visitors asked for straw poll on top scarecrows
- 15:12 VIDEO: The start of the 2017 Tour de Yorkshire
- 15:12 Two arrested after Crich Post Office robbery
- 15:12 Sheffield hospital trust launches new online disability access guide
- 15:11 Amazon 'style assistant' divides opinion
- 15:11 Cousins who attacked man in Llanrwst caravan appear in court
- 15:10 Neighbours spoiler: Will Piper get sexually assaulted after tense...
- 15:09 QUICK QUIZ: Seven questions about the last seven days...
- 15:09 Tottenham v Arsenal: 11 players could miss north London derby
- 15:09 Four in hospital after van smashed into bus stop in Clydebank
- 15:09 Two arrested after Crich Post Office robbery
- 15:09 Why parents could be entitled to a £2,000 windfall from the Government
- 15:09 Why your Vauxhall Zafira could be a fire risk - and how to check
- 15:09 Customers see their money disappear on Natwest banking app
- 15:09 Why you should never use these names for your children's 'privates'
- 15:09 BREAKING: Midfielder John-Joe O’Toole signs new two-year deal at...
- 15:09 Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko weigh-in before Wembley fight
- 15:08 High Tides April 29 to May 6
- 15:08 VIDEO: The start of the 2017 Tour de Yorkshire
- 15:08 Service to drive up food standards in East Lindsey