Murders in Scotland fall to record low - but sex crimes hit 45-year high
MURDERS have fallen to a record low in Scotland, official figures show.
The total, including culpable homicide, decreased by half in a decade and is the lowest since 1976.
The Scottish Government confirmed there were 57 killings last year, compared with 62 in 2014-15.
As of March this year, just one case remains unsolved.
The figures come just two weeks after a government report showed total recorded crime was at its lowest rate in 42 years.
However, sex crimes are at their highest since 1971.
Police Scotland Deputy Chief Constable Johnny Gwynne said: “We welcome the fall in homicides to... read more
- 09:59 MOT tests are having big changes here’s what you need to know
- 09:59 Woman clocked-up nearly £4,000 in fines for using TV without a licence
- 09:59 Welfare cheat illegally claimed over £4k after failing to declare a...
- 09:59 Firefighters called to chimney fire in Heysham
- 09:59 Dog owners blasted for rise in Fylde beach mess
- 09:58 Seven things are going to cost you more from April 2018 - but what...
- 09:58 Croatia squad attend Miami Heat game as Luka Modric, Ivan Rakitic,...
- 09:58 Freiburg murder: Afghan jailed for life in Germany
- 09:58 Sheffield tree protester arrested for playing plastic trumpet
- 09:57 Cannibal chef feeds couple slices of their own body parts for...
- 09:57 Hargreaves Lansdown investors to get £15m back after DIY investing...
- 09:57 Police not fooled by 'plonker's' Del Boy driving licence
- 09:56 Minister forced to change his own app after data-mining complaints
- 09:56 Minister floats prospect of procurement rules changing after Brexit...
- 09:56 West Ham issue life bans to fans who invaded pitch or threw missiles
- 09:55 Chimney fire in Fleet Hargate
- 09:55 Comment: Heady days for everyone connected with Montrose
- 09:55 Dundee United new boy Anthony Ralston facing bigger challenge than...
- 09:54 Welfare cheat illegally claimed over £4k after failing to declare a...
- 09:53 Extra hours, violence, stress and working while unwell
- 09:53 Major £167k grant for cancer charity
- 09:52 Woman targeted by robber in Doncaster street
- 09:52 Crews battle fire at veterinary surgery in Layton
- 09:52 Editor's letter: How your Harrogate Advertiser website is changing
- 09:52 PLASTIC CAMPAIGN: Lancaster and Morecambe businesses ditch the plastic
- 09:51 Thousands of grandparents are missing out on this Government money
- 09:50 Retail sales grow faster than expected in February
- 09:50 Why Adama Traore could come back to haunt Aston Villa
- 09:50 Reading next manager odds: Overwhelming favourite emerges to...
- 09:50 Plans lodged for new Rokeby school building