Mum and two children 'saved by their smoke alarm' after Thornaby house fire
A mother who escaped a house fire with her two children were “saved by their smoke alarm”.
The fire broke out at 9.20pm on Marykirk Road, Thornaby .
Two appliances were called to a fire that started in the kitchen.
The kitchen of the house sustained 60% smoke and heat damage.
The fire originated in the washing machine.
No injuries were reported, and a woman escaped with her two children after her smoke alarm sounded.
The watch manager at Thornaby Fire Station said: “The fire involved the washing machine. The smoke alarms alerted them and definitely saved them.
“A woman got herself and her... read more
- 16:27 POLITICALLY SPEAKING: MP Jon Trickett on real-term funding cuts for...
- 16:26 Man City midfielder Yaya Toure could make another shock U-turn
- 16:26 BREAKING: Unitary proposals are submitted to central government
- 16:25 COLUMN: Defend the NHS - it’s all we have left, by Roy Bainton
- 16:25 BREAKING NEWS: Morrisons ordered to clean up former Bolsover...
- 16:25 Anthony Crolla keen to prove doubters wrong in Jorge Linares...
- 16:25 Fancy a job with a difference? Beamish is searching for someone to...
- 16:25 Beamish Museum searching for visionary to create 1950s world and...
- 16:24 Khalid Masood was 'shot by Defence Secretary Michael Fallon's armed...
- 16:24 The thousands of pounds in fines paid by Birmingham parents for...
- 16:24 Redundancies 'inevitable' as shoe retailer Brantano goes into...
- 16:24 Khalid Masood named as Birmingham terrorist behind London attack
- 16:24 Khalid Masood 'timed' London terror attack deliberately for...
- 16:24 Search called off for possible missing paraglider
- 16:24 White supremacist's church burns down in North Dakota
- 16:24 Over £11,000 raised by Muslim community in hours for London terror...
- 16:24 Earth Hour: What is it and how you can take part in the global event
- 16:23 Former GHA Coaches workers win compensation payout 'after losing...
- 16:23 Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather is disrespectful to boxing -...
- 16:23 Morecambe pub has licence suspended following drugs investigation
- 16:22 Stunning historic steam loco pays Lincoln flying visit
- 16:22 Parents can register for £2,000 Tax-Free Childcare Scheme from...
- 16:22 Why the hunt is on for the messiest bedroom in Coventry
- 16:22 Dear Reader: We need real affordable housing + my spell in A&E
- 16:20 Dear Reader: We need real affordable housing + my spell in A&E
- 16:19 Cable theft in Bardney
- 16:19 WIN! Family ticket to Gulliver’s Easter Extravaganza
- 16:19 Cost of finding temporary accommodation for homeless people going down
- 16:19 Nominate a first aid hero
- 16:19 Family of murdered Pc Keith Palmer pay tribute to ‘wonderful dad...