Mugabe's likely successor Mnangagwa due back in Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe's former vice-president, whose sacking led to the shock resignation of long-time leader Robert Mugabe, could be sworn in as the new president within hours, the ruling party says.
Emmerson Mnangagwa, who fled to South Africa two weeks ago, is due to arrive back on Wednesday, the Zanu-PF says.
His dismissal led both the party and the military to intervene and force an end to Mr Mugabe's 37-year long rule.
The news sparked wild celebrations across the country late into the night.
The announcement that the 93-year-old was stepping down came in the form of a letter read out in... read more
- 12:05 Last chance to enter competition inspired by Emily
- 12:05 Eco-friendly Cumbria council hits recycling target
- 12:03 Daily Telegraph cartoonist Matt 'turning into character'
- 12:02 ‘Born with skis on’: Norway celebrates Winter Olympics medal record
- 12:01 Great North Air Ambulance braved freezing temperatures to rescue...
- 12:01 Sea Scouts receive cash boost thanks to choir
- 12:00 'If only more Brits were like Filipinos' - readers react to nursing...
- 11:58 Local writers to host comedy sketch show in Alvingham and Louth
- 11:56 EU ‘has lost Christian narrative’ in bid to expand bloc's borders,...
- 11:55 New pcsos welcomed to Notttinghamshire Police
- 11:55 The Queen makes a SHOCK London Fashion Week appearance on the front...
- 11:53 Watch Ant and Dec's hilarious dance routine with Kylie Minogue on...
- 11:52 Coventry fashion brand stages ambitious show - in the middle of...
- 11:52 This is when the snow is likely to hit Coventry and Warwickshire...
- 11:52 Boy, 13, ‘raped and burned’ before his mum’s boyfriend beat him...
- 11:50 North Korea willing to hold talks with US, says South Korea
- 11:49 Ian Murray: If we don’t back soft Brexit, Labour won’t be forgiven
- 11:48 North Korea are ‘open to talks with the US’
- 11:47 Let your hair go natural
- 11:45 How they rated: Our marks out of 10 after Preston’s dismal defeat...
- 11:44 This is one piece of theatre you’ll not forget in a hurry
- 11:44 Signed, Sealed, Delivered to the Theatre Royal
- 11:41 Lincolnshire police may issue villagers with power to hand out...
- 11:41 Billy Morgan pushed home in shopping trolley after celebrating...
- 11:39 New pcsos welcomed to Notttinghamshire Police
- 11:38 Kind-hearted girl plans to walk equivalent distance of three times...
- 11:37 Championship: Sunderland equalise late on against Middlesbrough,...
- 11:36 Leeds Stainbeck Lane dug up again after days for urgent gas repairs
- 11:36 Beautiful sunset inspires local photographers
- 11:36 WEEKEND WEB: Our lost railway heritage