MSPs to examine election officials' pay amid 'public concern'
MSPs are to examine the payments received by election returning officers in Scotland.
There have been calls for reform of the system, which often sees highly-paid council chiefs get extra payments of tens of thousands of pounds.
Holyrood's local government committee is to examine how the payments are made and how appropriate they are.
Convener Bob Doris said there was "understandable public concern" about the sums being paid out.
Returning officers have been in high demand in recent years, with Scotland going to the polls for five elections and referendums across three years.
It... read more
- 16:00 Yorkshire Tea...isn't from Yorkshire?!
- 15:59 Did you see thief break into vehicle at Burslem Cemetery?
- 15:59 Body of 36-year-old Staffordshire woman recovered from sea in Cornwall
- 15:59 Teenage tearaway, 15, banned from Congleton town centre's shops and...
- 15:59 Stoke City defender Marc Muniesa should have walked says Burnley...
- 15:59 Warning over bogus caller in Chesterfield claiming to be from council
- 15:59 Arsene Wenger wrong to play David Ospina over Petr Cech for...
- 15:58 Woodhall Spa woman seriously injured in Coningsby collision
- 15:58 VIDEO: Caught in the act: carer steals cash from Spalding war hero...
- 15:57 Supreme Court rules for Samsung in smartphone fight with Apple
- 15:57 Holyrood cannot stop Westminster triggering Brexit, Supreme Court told
- 15:56 Police commissioner Lord Bach moves his office to a more 'fitting'...
- 15:56 X Factor finalists 5 After Midnight in Leicester - LIVE updates
- 15:55 Terrorism officers arrest man at Heathrow Airport
- 15:55 Spring Bank verdict and your reaction to driver Neville Fletcher's...
- 15:55 Carlisle drugs duo's jail warning
- 15:55 Missing teenage boy might be on his way to London
- 15:55 Nottingham Secret Cinema venue revealed (and it's a former...
- 15:53 Leicester fear losing Layton Ndukwu after 55-yard wondergoal vs...
- 15:53 Hundreds flock to Beeley to spot rare Asian bird
- 15:53 Mauricio Pochettino urges Tottenham to end Wembley hoodoo and...
- 15:53 VIDEO: UK’s first ‘anger room’ open and ready for rage
- 15:53 REVEALED: How Conor McGregor REALLY feels about being stripped of...
- 15:52 More than 400 take part in Santa fun run around Belvoir Castle for...
- 15:50 Berwick MP backs crackdown on dangerous driving
- 15:50 EU Commission in close contact with Italy over banks - Dombrovskis
- 15:49 Peter Vaughan, Game of Thrones and Porridge actor, dies aged 93
- 15:48 Roger Federer and Serena Williams both delay injury comebacks...
- 15:48 How many homes and businesses were flooded in your area?
- 15:48 Antonio Conte pulls off unreal ball control in Chelsea training