MPs to hear law change bid
A mum’s bid to prevent her daughter’s killer from being released on parole was being discussed in the House of Commons today.
Marie McCourt, 73, launched Helen’s Law last year after fearing that Ian Simms - who was convicted of killing her daughter Helen in Billinge in 1988 - could be released without ever revealing where her body was hidden.
Since launching a petition last December, more than 343,000 have signed their support for the law on change.org.
Later today, Marie’s MP, Conor McGinn, will present a 10-Minute Bill to fellow MPs in Parliament.
The bill Unlawful Killing (Recovery of... read more
- 07:11 Aston Villa transfers: Medical staff member teases signing...
- 07:11 Liverpool FC transfer rumours: Midfielder targeted, Daniel...
- 07:11 Labour candidate calls on Prime Minister to visit hospital
- 07:11 Police concerned for the welfare of missing north Cumbrian woman
- 07:11 Plans to develop historic Carlisle site welcomed
- 07:11 Ripley delighted as Northants sign England Under 19 skipper on loan
- 07:11 Stan Wawrinka sees off Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in straight sets to...
- 07:09 Teaching 'weakest aspect' of education in Wales - Estyn
- 07:09 Top execs of Abu Dhabi's Etihad airline group to quit amid strategy...
- 07:08 Chester man's depraved killer must spend the rest of his life...
- 07:08 Tottenham key men reveal all on Man United transfer rumours: This...
- 07:08 Liverpool legend: Jurgen Klopp must make this tactical change at...
- 07:08 Talksport presenter: I heard this Man United transfer will happen
- 07:07 Woman survives chip pan blaze in Sheffield
- 07:07 Virgil van Dijk injury update: Southampton boss admits star man...
- 07:07 South Yorkshire Police search for missing man
- 07:07 Yellow warning for fog in Derby as Met Office cautions driving...
- 07:07 Breaking news: Burst water main on busy Derby road
- 07:05 Campaign to attract more teachers to Northamptonshire
- 07:04 Man United Transfer News: Chelsea to gazump £38m deal, winger...
- 07:02 Why much loved tree could be set for reprieve after all
- 06:58 Live: Breaking news from Liverpool and Merseyside Tuesday January 24
- 06:58 Stan Wawrinka storms into Australian Open semi-finals after fiery...
- 06:57 Edgar House in Chester named Europe's most romantic hotel
- 06:55 Transfer News: Hart to Chelsea, Man Utd deal sanctioned, shock...
- 06:54 Horse riders say they’re dicing with death because of speeding drivers
- 06:54 Union claims South Tyneside schools face £4million-plus funding...
- 06:54 Motorists react with anger to advertising sign
- 06:53 Council planning notices
- 06:53 Woman pulled from house blaze in Northumberland