MP calls for social security changes
OLDHAM MP Debbie Abrahams used her first speech at the Labour Annual Conference in Liverpool yesterday to call for a change in the culture of the UK's social security system and the end of "punitive sanctions".
Mrs Abrahams, MP for Oldham East and Saddleworth, argued that the system needed to be transformed into one that is "efficient, responsive, and provides basic support" to those unable to work through illness or disability.
The shadow secretary of state for work and pensions said: "Inequality is not inevitable.
"We are all here precisely because we know... read more
- 18:02 Third of poorer families in England missing out on free food vouchers
- 18:01 Champagne populists? Far-right MEPs face inquiry into expenses
- 18:01 Wimbledon confirms it has no plans to rebrand ladies' tournament
- 18:01 Rafael Nadal still sees Novak Djokovic as main contender amid...
- 18:01 Mohamed Salah can become modern great like Messi and Ronaldo, says...
- 17:58 Champions League final: Why Phil Thompson is backing Liverpool to...
- 17:57 Letter of the week: Return the body of Sunderland land and brave...
- 17:56 Cinema to show Charlie Chaplin film accompanied by 'authentic' live...
- 17:54 Arsenal news: Unai Emery odds-on to complete transfer and reunion...
- 17:54 Man Utd news: Defender sends message to Jose Mourinho over his future
- 17:54 Now or Never campaign launches 2 Minute Litter Pick boards in...
- 17:54 Your TV might ‘break’ during the Champion’s League final, and...
- 17:54 Police appeal for missing Carlisle man, 29
- 17:53 Royal wedding cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason gets chart boost
- 17:52 Top 20 free UK museums and galleries for families
- 17:52 Harvey Weinstein's arrest explained: the charges and what's next
- 17:52 Harvey Weinstein: the remarkable downfall of Hollywood's biggest mogul
- 17:51 Teacher dies in tragic skydiving accident after heavy landing
- 17:50 Stratford AC retain Warwick Vase for third year in succession
- 17:49 United Utilities to close West Cumbrian road
- 17:49 McDonald’s votes to keep using plastic straws
- 17:47 Cinema to show Charlie Chaplin film accompanied by 'authentic' live...
- 17:46 Date set for funeral of legendary Sheffield boxing trainer Brendan...
- 17:46 FIRST PICTURE of 15-year-old Sheffield boy stabbed to death
- 17:45 Chess: Nigel Short balancing playing with campaign for Fide presidency
- 17:44 FIRST PICTURE of 15-year-old Sheffield boy stabbed to death
- 17:44 Majority of EU27 favour 'simple' approach on Britons’ residency
- 17:44 Parts of Bridlington to be closed to traffic next week
- 17:41 Are these sunglasses the worst thing you have ever seen?
- 17:40 Heavy rain brings delays to North East roads as Bank Holiday...