Mothers who take antibiotics while pregnant may have babies with weaker guts and risk of irritable bowel disease, new study warns
Pregnant mothers who take antibiotics put their children at greater risk of inflammatory bowel disease, a new study warned.
The pills, taken by about 40 percent of pregnant women in the US, cause changes in the gut bacteria or microbiome of the mother which are then inherited by their unborn child, according to the New York University study.
The balance between good and bad bacteria is altered and this change triggered a IBD inflammation scores 55-fold higher than those with normal gut bacteria.
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are the two main forms of IBD, affecting about 1.6... read more
- 11:52 A new warning of ice has been issued for Cumbria
- 11:52 Revealed: How Aston Villa are helping QPR in their plans to beat...
- 11:52 Porn star Yuri Luv has died aged 31
- 11:51 Big tent events at the Piece Hall this Christmas
- 11:51 Disgraced former Gateshead football coach Kane Hutchison is...
- 11:51 Amazon backs down in Google streaming spat
- 11:51 Face-lift for play area at Conquest
- 11:50 Most Britons think amount of waste generated at Christmas...
- 11:50 Queens Gardens to get its own clean-up team
- 11:49 Emmerdale spoilers: Moira Barton star hints at more Emma twists...
- 11:49 Millions of Brits set to lose annual leave because they fail to...
- 11:49 'Dogs can get drunk too!' - Lincolnshire vet warns to keep alcohol...
- 11:49 Elliot shows qualities to ensure promotion
- 11:48 Jail for thug who knocked out Royal Marine in Carlisle bar assault
- 11:48 Virgin Trains' workers 'solidly supporting' pay strike
- 11:48 Tesco Burnley bakers ready for charity Christmas Day 10k
- 11:48 50 year old phrase is named word of the year
- 11:48 Millions of Brits set to lose annual leave because they fail to...
- 11:47 Bishop Burton College principal 'mismanagement' case referred to...
- 11:46 Legendary physio John Kerr was a one-off and he will never be...
- 11:46 Outdoor art to celebrate individuality
- 11:45 Driver in hospital after crashing into wall in Sheffield
- 11:45 League of Gentlemen tour to make debut in Sunderland
- 11:45 Walsall boss Whitney wary of Cobblers backlash
- 11:45 Bestwood road closed after police incident
- 11:44 Diego Maradona claims he would have won more Ballon d'Ors than both...
- 11:44 Mauricio Pellegrino gives his Southampton side 'special...
- 11:44 Help the Homeless: Selfless schoolgirl inspired double donation to...
- 11:44 Indian woman refused entry to the UK because her English is too good
- 11:44 Laughing daughter can’t handle swearing dad as he tries to fix an Xbox