Mothers who are overweight before becoming pregnant can rob their baby of up to 17 years of life
Women who are overweight before becoming pregnant could take years off their baby’s life.
Almost a third of women of child-bearing age are obese or overweight, as the nation’s waistlines expand.
A study now shows every point increase in a mother’s BMI, from a healthy level and above, before they fall pregnant can cut the equivalent of 18 months off their child’s life expectancy.
The most obese women could rob their baby of 17 years of life, though some time can be regained if they grow up with a healthy lifestyle.
Scientists at Hasselt University in Belgium worked this out using telomeres -... read more
- 18:34 One in five Brits would rather date a pet owner
- 18:34 Charity hopes for bumper boost from annual Festival
- 18:34 Boy writes heartbreaking note on Asda toy after his mum couldn't...
- 18:34 Obituary: Paul William Schmitt
- 18:33 Sheffield man who downloaded child pornography images involving...
- 18:33 Prince Harry to visit Leeds
- 18:33 FTSE stalls, Carpetright and Debenhams put UK consumer in spotlight
- 18:31 Green scheme savings fund air ambulance
- 18:30 Flood warnings and alerts issued for Bridlington, Scarborough and...
- 18:30 Colne Valley MP criticises school targets
- 18:28 AstraZeneca cancer drug trial prompts investors to take options cover
- 18:26 Derby benefits cheat who said she was 'virtually unable to walk'...
- 18:26 Cake maker Harry Gowdy jailed for sex attacks on girl under 13
- 18:25 Kingsway Academy faces closure due to spiralling PFI payments
- 18:25 Steelworks homes plans given go-ahead by council
- 18:25 Hucknall school receives a good Ofsted rating after being told they...
- 18:24 Hammond warns "petty politics" threaten good Brexit deal
- 18:23 Flying this summer? THIS airport is the worst for flight delays in...
- 18:23 Joe Miller apologises to Linfield over claims he was targeted by...
- 18:23 Police issue new warning over potentially lethal 'laughing gas' craze
- 18:22 Italian business chiefs plead for 'soft' Brexit as they fear impact...
- 18:22 British tourists in violent brawl at Faro Airport as Portugal...
- 18:22 Help name Lancashire Police’ new horse
- 18:21 Israel's Mossad sets up fund to acquire new spy techniques
- 18:21 Bar bans Grenfell Tower event because music ‘would attract poor...
- 18:20 ECHO Schools Awards 2017 winners revealed at glittering ceremony
- 18:19 London drivers face £80 fine if they leave their cars idling in...
- 18:19 Butter and fish see biggest price rises as soaring inflation adds...
- 18:19 Are the days of the cash machine numbered? On its 50th anniversary,...
- 18:19 EastEnders star's killer loses challenge over murder sentence