Mother and child flee Huddersfield flat after candle explodes
A mother and child were forced to flee their flat after a candle exploded.
Firefighters from Huddersfield were called to Eastlands at Almondbury after a candle in a jar overheated and shattered, spewing hot wax across a kitchen.
The candle had been left unattended while the occupants were in another room.
They were alerted to the incident at 2.20pm yesterday by a smoke alarm but the volume of smoke and damage to the kitchen meant they had to leave the property and call 999.
Firefighters used special fans to ventilate the flat and a communal area in the block.
After multiple incidents with... read more
- 07:33 WEATHER: A mainly dry, misty day with some sunshine for Derbyshire
- 07:31 CHESTERFIELD CHAMPION: Welcoming town has some of the nicest people...
- 07:31 WEATHER: A mainly dry, misty day with some sunshine for Derbyshire
- 07:31 Push the boat out with narrowboat holiday from Rugby
- 07:30 Devastated Warsop teen appeals for help after beloved pet Yorkie...
- 07:25 ‘Ridiculously complex’: Top financier blasts UK’s biggest fund
- 07:25 Burning issue: Are wood-burning stoves going to get the chop?
- 07:25 I'm fed up mowing the lawn – should I get artificial grass?
- 07:25 WEATHER: A mainly dry, misty day with some sunshine for Derbyshire
- 07:25 Debt collectors held to account as traffic fines claim a life
- 07:24 UK's pre-summit push to 'divide and rule EU27' impeded Brexit talks
- 07:23 Interview: Why Cast legend John Power is still having a Fine Time...
- 07:22 Champions League final: Real Madrid WILL target Liverpool star...
- 07:22 Champions League final: Praising Liverpool is a distraction ploy...
- 07:20 Residents of Woodford Halse to consider legal challenge over claims...
- 07:19 Hartlepool waiting on Sunderland, Newcastle and Middlesbrough over...
- 07:15 School to consider introducing own bus service in response to rail...
- 07:15 Coffee brewing duo find the right blend ahead of Ulverston festival...
- 07:15 Galloping down memory lane ahead of The Mail Picnic Day at Cartmel...
- 07:15 Art instillation allows visitors to view Lake District attraction...
- 07:12 Forking hell! Is The Good Place the ultimate TV show for our times?
- 07:11 Laughs galore in Chesterfield Operatics’ take on The Vicar of Dibley
- 07:09 18 guests reveal the worst things that happened to them at a wedding
- 07:09 Memories from the heart of the Aids crisis shows true love in a...
- 07:07 Gareth Shaw: Power of Attorney equals peace of mind
- 07:07 Saints farewell interview: Tom Stephenson
- 07:07 FEATURE: Getting to know... Cobblers’ academy graduate Sean Whaler
- 07:07 FARMING MATTERS: A chance to see beyond farm gate
- 07:05 Which goddess is said to live in Halema‘uma‘u Crater in Hawaii? The...
- 07:05 A letter to… my slob of a partner